Skip to main content

Used ACCO 2350 compactors

More
11 years 6 months ago #97824 by Wheat
Hello,

I am looking at purchasing a used ACCO 2350e/g ex compactor, cab chassis for conversion to a table top truck. The trucks are right hand drive only, 8.3 ltr Cummins and Allison auto trans.

Why are these ex compactors relatively cheaper than the same model and same mileage table top/tautliner trucks?

How does rubber block suspension compare to air bags. Will it provide an acceptable ride especially for the load.

How reliable are the Allison autos? and with all the stop go these compactors do, should I expect a fair bit of transmission and brake wear?

Thanks in anticipation

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
11 years 6 months ago #97825 by V8Ian
Replied by V8Ian on topic Re: Used ACCO 2350 compactors
Pure speculation, but I'd say fuel consumption would be higher than comparable models, due to the auto and a low diff ratio. Bear in mind, the role it has been fullfilling is a demanding vocation. The previous operator would not be selling before the end of the truck's economic life.

More
11 years 6 months ago #97826 by bigcam
Compactors have a very hard life. mainly on the go pedal then stopping, rev the crap out of them to compact. The auto's in them all have coolers that highway trucks don't need.
To put it in a bit more perspective, a highway truck that spends a lot of time in top gear will clock up a lot more K's than an around town truck that is constantly stopping and starting wearing everything out.
I actually own an ex-garbage truck, and yes it was cheap, but I've spent some time and money on it and it's still a bit of a dog.

More
11 years 6 months ago #97827 by Phred1
Wheat, Don't do it they only sell them when they are at end of life. If it's an 8 wheeler the front end has spent all it's life in and out of driveways on full lock and as in previous response there is only on or off as throttle positions. spent 2 1/2 years driving them .
regards Peter

More
11 years 6 months ago #97828 by clarkie383
It might have low kms but will have high running hrs.

More
11 years 6 months ago #97829 by Bobsboy
Sorta like an ex taxi.

I was its last driver (as a cab) and got all romantic about the poor old thing.

Everything was worn out except the right rear passenger door.

Looked good though.

Lasted about 6 months as a private car ;D.

-b

Mucking about on the edge

More
11 years 5 months ago #97830 by Bonester
I had to do some phone system work for the Transpacific depot in Mt Isa a few years ago and one of the guys there was telling me their Acco's go through leaf springs about every 18 months. They collect garbage from the mines and to control the spread of things like lead off the mine site all vehicles need to go through an underbody wash as they leave the site.

The water that's used is recycled and one of the chemicals in it eats the carbon out of steel so when you pull the spring packs apart it looks like termites have been at them.

The maintenance guys in Melbourne can't understand why they need so many springs when the average life is 5 years.

Its amazing what you learn.

More
11 years 5 months ago #97831 by kenny-mopar

Sorta like an ex taxi.

I was its last driver (as a cab) and got all romantic about the poor old thing.

Everything was worn out except the right rear passenger door.

Looked good though.

Lasted about 6 months as a private car ;D.

-b

.. many years ago i bought (out of all cars) a valiant ex taxi ..had a good body etc but no idea of the kms on it (800.000kms?) it was a pain in the ..@ss trying to maintain it things like suspension bushes noisey speedo head etc ..just all the fiddly "problems"were a pain

More
11 years 4 months ago - 11 years 4 months ago #97832 by Kenworth_10x6
I did drive an 6x4 ACCO tipper that was one of these trucks from new. I looked at the compliance plate and IH/Navistar actually listed it on the plate as a Compactor model. This one was bought by the BCC as a tipper and had a live drive PTO for doing fancy tipper work and had an Alison Auto and 240 hp Cummins. The auto was tuned for high revs for running hydraulics. Unless you pushed the pedal through the floor it would not change gears. It only changed at somewhere near 2100 - 2400 rpm, I'm thinking the later. Great at traffic lights when empty, giving car drivers a surprise. The only time it wouldn't rev was in top gear which was achieved at about 65kph so around town it was reving unless you pushed it a bit over 65 and backed off. Once there it was a different truck, dropping to about 1600 rpm or similar and able to use the torque of the engine as the converter locks in direct gear. The gearbox finally needed a rebuild after some time and was retuned, and it was a different truck, changing gears a lot lower in the revs if not loaded. So if you ever purchased one try ot get the gearbox retuned for normal driving. Also most of these trucks should have an hour meter as well as an odometer, which would be a much better indication of the work the truck has actually done.
Last edit: 11 years 4 months ago by Kenworth_10x6.

More
10 years 3 weeks ago #97833 by GearJamma
Wheat
i know someone who has 6 of these, if you want to pm me i'll give you his phone number

Time to create page: 0.581 seconds