Skip to main content

sadly neglected NL12

More
11 years 5 months ago #99885 by mayb2late
Hi everyone, this is my first post, looks to be a great site, only discovered it a few days ago, I recently purchased an old '91 Volvo NL12 tipper which has been sadly neglected, no servive manuals or instruction manuals, I was wondering if any of you good people out there would have a page of the dash panel so as that we can work out which light and switch does what, there are many other things i would like to know as time goes by, but one thing at a time would be good, thanks...... :'(

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
11 years 5 months ago #99886 by Chocs
Replied by Chocs on topic Re: sadly neglected NL12
Welcome to the forum Ol Mate..

Sorry i can't help you with your questions today..
I am sure there will be someone here that can..

chocs 8-)

More
11 years 5 months ago #99887 by V8Ian
Replied by V8Ian on topic Re: sadly neglected NL12
I'm sure Swishy will be along soon. ;)

More
11 years 5 months ago - 11 years 5 months ago #99888 by RocksnRoses
Here you go, mayb2late,

RnR.
Last edit: 11 years 5 months ago by RocksnRoses.

More
11 years 5 months ago #99889 by mammoth
Replied by mammoth on topic Re: sadly neglected NL12
The NL series was relatively modern but time moves on so I guess they could classed as historic now. Check out the web site for Australian Volvo Truck Heritage Group which is accessed through www.hunteroldtrucks.com

More
11 years 5 months ago #99890 by atkipete
Replied by atkipete on topic Re: sadly neglected NL12
I used to drive an N12 ( quite a good truck Swishy) and can pass on a couple of tips.
If it has cruise control and it wont work sometimes, once you start the engine put your foot on the brake pedal till all the warning lights go out ( a few seconds). This resets everything.
If you are shunting in a tight spot beware that the truck can run out of air in the auxiliary circuit ( third tank). Then you find yourself going backwards towards a loading dock and the clutch pedal has gone road hard. :'( :'(
The buzzer and gauges only read the two brake tanks and give you no warning of this. If it was my truck i would add a switch and buzzer to that aux tank.
Also fumes from the gearbox used to come into the cab on hot days. Maybe the rubbers or gearbox breather were stuffed.

More
11 years 5 months ago #99891 by mayb2late
Replied by mayb2late on topic Re: sadly neglected NL12
Hi Guys, thanks to those who replied, especially to Rocksnroses for a copy of the dash switches and gauges, if anybody has any old NL12 service manuals that they would like to sell I would be happy to pay.

More
11 years 4 months ago #99892 by prodrive
Replied by prodrive on topic Re: sadly neglected NL12
Good on you Mayb, they aren't a bad truck at all, if you can keep the rust at bay and get on top of the stupid electrics...
I got stuck into the wiring on my old N10, I pulled a whole bin (BIG bin) full of defunct wiring out from behind the dash, being careful NOT to actually take out anything that was connected to anything else., the rotten mongrel wouldn't start then. I found that the whole earth system for the truck was dependant upon a stupid spade connection on the back of the fuel guage!!!!
Bit of stuffing round and of she went again..
And another NL kept shutting itself down, that turned out to be the earth wire in the PLUG on the loom side of the computer. THAT took some finding, i can tell you..
Cheers and good luck,
Richard

Time to create page: 0.471 seconds