Skip to main content

Is this legal

More
11 years 4 months ago #101938 by atkipete
Is this legal was created by atkipete
This Hiab crane overhangs the semi by 2 to 3 metres, is that legal ?
www.flickr.com/photos/46046969@N03/8290567158/in/photostream

Please Log in to join the conversation.

11 years 4 months ago #101939 by
Replied by on topic Re: Is this legal
Pete

? If it had no trailer would the crane stick out beyond the rear of the truck.

Trevor

• Swishy
  • If U don't like my Driving .... well then get off the footpath ...... LOL
More
11 years 4 months ago - 11 years 4 months ago #101940 by Swishy
Replied by Swishy on topic Re: Is this legal

Eye'd feel sure th@ B 4 the beast twaz set up they have it in writing 2 B OK so they can wave under the nose of Plod
as far as the boom slewing while truck being driven, the hydraulic slew has a Hyd brake to hold load on boom when not ded even ground or wind blo n

Guess n on a long trip the hyd slew may creep a few inches off center @ worse

= No big deal

Normally set n up a lifting divice U need DLI Worksafe or every Govt department to grab sum more $$$ from the applicant of sed crane

LOL

As far as Slos Peeds Rear O/Hang U'd measure from center of the truck rear suspension n calcul8 O/H @ 60% of W/B of Prime mover

www.vicroads.vic.gov.au/NR/rdonlyres/2F2...536/0/vrpin01833.pdf

Cya

[ch9787]

OF ALL THE THINGS EYE MISS ................. EYE MISS MY MIND THE MOST

There's more WORTH in KENWORTH
Last edit: 11 years 4 months ago by Swishy.

More
11 years 4 months ago #101941 by atkipete
Replied by atkipete on topic Re: Is this legal
Definitely hanging out beyond the prime mover Trev. I know what you are saying Swishy but apparently there have been accidents with this type of setup in NZ . See my flicker comments. if someone young and techo savvy like yourself can copy that photo across to the forum please do so.

• Swishy
  • If U don't like my Driving .... well then get off the footpath ...... LOL
More
11 years 4 months ago #101942 by Swishy
Replied by Swishy on topic Re: Is this legal

Comments from Flikr

Looking at this truck on my way home from work. He has the Hiab crane (mounted on the prime mover) extending about 3 metres over the semi trailer.

Comments and faves

Roscoe's AC (3 days ago)
Not sure what country you have taken the photo in but it would definitely be illegal in New Zealand. Hiabs have to be folded up when travelling or secured with straps or chains. There have been fatalities.here in NZ where unsecured booms have swung around and hit other motorists or cyclists.

Roscoe's AC (3 days ago)
Sorry Pete. I have re-read your caption and see that the truck is in Australia. Definitely illegal here in NZ

atkipete (3 days ago)
Good point, I hadnt thought about the boom slewing round.

alco_dl500b (3 days ago)
It's not a knuckle boom, so it is very hard to secure a cable crane for transit. We have one at work, and the boom is secured over the cab to the front bull bar with a spare sling. I have seen a few other cable cranes where the driver has set it back over the tray, without any form of securing it.

interutes (18 hours ago)
They sould have a locking pin in the base

atkipete (2 hours ago)
I thought it would have something to mechanically lock it. Just wondering about the dimension limits. I know there is a limit to forward overhang of the trailer, from memory 1.8 metres radius of the king pin but I dont know about rearward overhang of the prime mover.

OF ALL THE THINGS EYE MISS ................. EYE MISS MY MIND THE MOST

There's more WORTH in KENWORTH

More
11 years 4 months ago #101943 by Mairjimmy
Replied by Mairjimmy on topic Re: Is this legal
In my mind if is mounted on the prime mover and exceedes the length of the prime mover by 2 to3 metres it is highly dangerous ,because when you turn the boom would be coming off line with the trailer and sticking out beyond the protection of the trailer

Time to get up andd get going.......todays bad decisions aren't going to make themselves!!!

More
11 years 4 months ago #101944 by bigcam
Replied by bigcam on topic Re: Is this legal
I'd reckon it was illegal, though I have also seen blokes put overlength loads on tilt tray's, hook up a 6X4 box trailer behind the truck so it is under the overhang and tell me it is all cool and they'll get away with it. Though getting away with something in Queensland is completly different to getting away with something in NSW.

11 years 4 months ago #101945 by
Replied by on topic Re: Is this legal
I would have say that is illegal as it conectted to the p/moverand it would be hanging out pass the rear of the truck .

the formual Vic Roads use is the distance between front axgle and rear axgle is divide by 60% and then says how much you can hang out behind the rear axgle.

You are allow 1 metre out from the front bumber bar. Dave

More
11 years 4 months ago #101946 by BK
Replied by BK on topic Re: Is this legal
I reckon he swings it out over the cab and anchors to the bull bar.

Trust me

More
11 years 4 months ago #101947 by atkipete
Replied by atkipete on topic Re: Is this legal
I think it would be within the 60% rule, if that applies in this case. Have done that with a box trailer Cam, it may not be legal but stops anyone running into the projecting load.

Time to create page: 0.501 seconds