Skip to main content

Modified Tractors

More
9 years 10 months ago #144501 by ady
Modified Tractors was created by ady
Hi all
been thinking about putting an 12v71 into a chamberlain but I was wondering and hoping that the bell housing would be the same as that of the 3-71
any help is appreciated

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
9 years 10 months ago #144502 by melonreo
Replied by melonreo on topic Re: Modified Tractors
please take this in a nice way

if you fit a 12V71 into your chambo . you will sooner or later blow the rear end to smithereens, :o :o and then you will be thinking what have I done :'( :'( :'( :'(
unless you have a lot of spare parts... I know of 2 old super ninetys that works hard all their life and the rear ends are worn out :-X, I am sure there is a lot out there that have worked hard and are still in good order :-?

they are a rare tractor today and bring a good dollar

one way to avoid busting up a good tractor would be to

get your 12V71 fit a suitable gearbox or transmission fit the box to the engine find a diff out of something like a stieger 4WD , attach the transmission to the diff , fabricate a set a chassis rails that look the same as original super ninety, get and fit an appropriate size radiator to suit your needs, and the replicate a grille and hood to look like original
I think a super 70 might be easier to copy the panel work

that is just my thoughts...cheers melon 8-)

More
9 years 10 months ago #144503 by ady
Replied by ady on topic Re: Modified Tractors
well I know 12v71 can go into an old john Deere 5020 with no ill effect
and a Cummins 190 can go into a Massey Harris 74 without damage
chamberlains are a strong tractor so if these other tractors can take the strain so to could a chamberlain
yet alone a fordson e27n with in line 8 Detroit with wheelie bar

More
9 years 10 months ago #144504 by dieseldog
Replied by dieseldog on topic Re: Modified Tractors
Hey mate, I don't really want to rain on your parade, but melonreo has a point. Any Chamberlain is just too nice to molest. A lot of these old tractors are becoming increasingly hard to find and spares are made of unobtainium. Chamberlains are a strong tractor for farming, but their final drives leave a lot to be desired- even doing a tight turn with dual wheels under no power is enough break teeth off the bull gears.

Bear in mind that the transmissions in these tractors are designed for 100 HP or less. 500 odd HP is just too much. If you really want to do it, try it with a Massey Ferguson, or a 30/40 series John Deere. There's thousands of them around and they're cheap.

If you're thinking of the tractor pulling sport, you need to know that the transmissions of these tractors are stripped, leaving only two forward gears and reverse, the diff centres are changed for high ratio truck diffs and the clutch is centrifugal. The reason they last? The faster you turn something, the more torque it can take. The engines are spinning at upwards of 6000rpm and most of the driveline is close to direct drive.

Long story short- please don't do it.

9 years 10 months ago #144505 by
Replied by on topic Re: Modified Tractors
...i know of a Chamberlain with the louvre window cab that's been sitting in North Sunshine for at least a dozen years....

...he knows what he's got, but that still doesn't stop anyone making a fair offer...and he would sell....

Time to create page: 0.360 seconds