Skip to main content

chamberlain tractors/backhoes etc

More
14 years 5 months ago #17970 by kennymopar2
the good old aussie made chamberlains .. anyone out there know when they made their backhoes(im looking at one to buy local)its perkins 4cyl powered im wondering if its direct(gear drive)or torque convertor drive also a approx weight
cheers

Please Log in to join the conversation.

14 years 5 months ago #17971 by
Chamberlain used "ACE" FEL and back hoes about
1962 /64 another was Cranvel. and, steelweld was another could be more. Me dad had a 9G with ACE
back hoe. also a fordson with a Cranvel back hoe
and a fordson with Whitlock back hoe.........Mark

More
14 years 5 months ago #17972 by kennymopar2
cool thanks for that ..the old chamberlains are a decent size (maybe a bit bigger than the old massey & JCB backhoes) im a fter a bargain priced excavator but a backhoe mite do the trick ;)
cheers ken

More
14 years 5 months ago #17973 by paul404
hi kenny, i picked this beast up a month ago. its a chamberlain deere CJD895. it has a perkins engine and forward reverse shuttle with a hi-lo gearbox. i think it would be around 1976 going by the ad i found on the net. if you want close ups of it i can get you some. i think it would weigh around 4t at a guess

More
14 years 5 months ago #17974 by bigcam
Your going to need a bigger shed Paul.I saw a new KW in Emeralds colours with no signwriting on it yesterday,looked like it had the fuel haul kit.The new backhoes go over 8 tonnes,I reckon you could add a couple to what yours weighs at a guess.

More
14 years 5 months ago #17975 by kennymopar2
thanks for all the info guys ..i didnt think anyone would know much about these old girls ! i better get my ass into gear and check out the chamby backhoe for sale . . . the backhoes as bigcam says are heavier than what you think the old JCB (leyland 4.98 powered) backhoe i had weighed 8.5 ton

More
14 years 5 months ago #17976 by paul404
yes i know cam that new shed is looking smaller all the time. the backhoe is paying for itself all the time. its a bloody handy machine. your probably right. 6T would be close looking at all the steel and counter weight, also the back tyres are full of water. the plan is that it will also be my number one lifting tool. shes a bit clapped out but its perfect for what i want.

More
14 years 5 months ago #17977 by mammoth
I think that they made the Chamberlain loaders out of steel because they worked out that it was heavier than concrete. If you are going budget the backhoe oldies divide into 2 types - tractors with wrap round frames and unitary construction. JCB was far and away the best during this era because they were so tough and had good reach. I have a Case CK580 (the original Construction King) which although being clapped out 8 years ago has performed well above its light weight (about 3 ton) and still ready for more. For farm work scissor type legs are preferrable as they can be extended out sideways and hold you up in boggy conditions. Hydrostatic clutch and Shuttle reverse is a must have for fast loading.

14 years 5 months ago #17978 by
I was under the impression that Chamberlains built their own loaders and backhoes, but the early ones may have been ACE attachments, or built under licence to ACE (a common move in the old days - Steelweld, Malcolm Moore, & Cranvel all built heaps of stuff under licence).

The early Chamberlain backhoe/FEL's (or TLB, to give them their common nomenclature - Tractor-Loader-Backhoe) used a MK II Industrial tractor for their base machine. This was followed about 1969 by the MK III Industrial tractor.

When JD took over Chamberlains (in 1970, during Western Australias worst drought in 80 yrs - one of the reasons Chamberlains faltered), they commenced to put the JD stamp on everything.

A new range of equipment was designed and released under the Chamberlain John Deere banner. New tractor lines were released within about 3 years, and the TLB was redesigned to take the JD backhoe and FEL.
It still used the MK III Industrial tractor, but the tractor was redesigned somewhat along JD tractor lines.

Here's a pic of one of the "old style" Chamberlain TLB's from the early 1970's .. notice the difference in the FEL and backhoe design to Paul404's machine ..

• Swishy
  • If U don't like my Driving .... well then get off the footpath ...... LOL
More
14 years 5 months ago #17979 by Swishy

Looks like he'z worn the bum outa th@ bucket

or haz he set up sum sort of trap door

But U no Best

;D

Cya

[ch9787]

OF ALL THE THINGS EYE MISS ................. EYE MISS MY MIND THE MOST