Skip to main content
No eBay APP ID and/or Cert ID defined in Kunena configurationNo eBay APP ID and/or Cert ID defined in Kunena configuration

671 GM big horse power.

• BillyP
  • Topic Author
  • I wish i could remember all the things i have forgotten...
More
4 years 5 months ago #204459 by BillyP
No eBay APP ID and/or Cert ID defined in Kunena configuration671 GM big horse power. was created by BillyP
No eBay APP ID and/or Cert ID defined in Kunena configuration

Wow ...480 HP @ 2500 revs...……..
…………………..Billy...…………………...

I CAME INTO THIS WORLD WITH NOTHING & STILL HAVE MOST OF IT.........................

I used to be a truck driver,
but i am now not a truck driver ,
on a good day i can remember
that i used to be a truck driver.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
4 years 5 months ago #204460 by Mrsmackpaul
No eBay APP ID and/or Cert ID defined in Kunena configurationReplied by Mrsmackpaul on topic 671 GM big horse power.
I cant imagine their life been very long at this rating
Im pretty sure this is the maximum rating for electronic 671 from the factory

Paul

Your better to die trying than live on your knees begging

More
4 years 5 months ago #204461 by Dave_64
No eBay APP ID and/or Cert ID defined in Kunena configurationReplied by Dave_64 on topic 671 GM big horse power.
Something I have never fully understood, the difference between marine propulsion horsepower ratings and the ratings for a identically specced automotive application. Even allowing for the higher RPM settings of the former, that sounds like a bit over the top. But then the US Navy we’re getting some ridiculous figures out of the Cummins 903 (as well as ridiculous RPM) even in N/A forms in some of their landing crafts. Maybe had something to do with either the resistance of water, the expected shorter life expectancy of the military use or they simply rated them differently. Years ago marine applications were often quoted as SHAFT HP, always seemed to be higher.
Even a twin turbo 903, best I ever read was around 375 Hp @ 3000 RPM. for truck use.Some naval specs almost doubled that. But, then those advertised photos and figures in the ad look like a bog standard item, so what would I know?

More
4 years 5 months ago #204468 by Morris
No eBay APP ID and/or Cert ID defined in Kunena configurationReplied by Morris on topic 671 GM big horse power.
I don't know anything about the above mentioned motors but i do know that a lot of people, manufacturers and hot rodders included, quote a horsepower figure with the engine in peak tune, on a test bench, with no accessories such as pumps, fans, clutch, alternator, etc. This gives a much higher reading than horsepower "at the wheels."

I think it is a bit like we used to say when Japanese trucks came on to the market:- they were designed to carry "little Japanese tons" not our usual British, European or American tons.

I have my shoulder to the wheel,
my nose to the grindstone,
I've put my best foot forward,
I've put my back into it,
I'm gritting my teeth,

Now I find I can't do any work in this position!

More
4 years 5 months ago #204469 by Lang
No eBay APP ID and/or Cert ID defined in Kunena configurationReplied by Lang on topic 671 GM big horse power.
Horsepower is just one particular named measure of the rate of doing work. It is defined to be 745.7 watts. There are others.

Brake horsepower simply refers to the way that horsepower is measured. That is typically done using a machine called an Dynamometer which in one form or another uses a brake to constrain the engine’s output.

The dynamometer measures the braking effort and that gives an estimate of the torque the engine is producing and given the rpm, it also yields the rate at which the engine is doing work. That is, it gives you a measurement of the engine’s power. Scale that appropriately and it comes out as Horsepower, or Kilowatts, or whatever unit you like.

There are qualifiers for the measurement methodology. The SAE Gross standard is based on an engine running without its fan, water pump, air filter and full exhaust (gross HP). The SAE Net and European PS standards are run with all of those parts installed as they would be in a car (net HP). Power can also be measured through the drive line as installed in the vehicle using a chassis dynamometer. Those measurements will be uniformly lower because of driveline losses.

More
4 years 5 months ago - 4 years 5 months ago #204471 by Lang
No eBay APP ID and/or Cert ID defined in Kunena configurationReplied by Lang on topic 671 GM big horse power.
I have a fantastic manual produced by GM Detroit called Marine Library.

It gives every engine they made (except that supersonic one mentioned above) in the 53/71/92 series with relationship to boats. It has pages on working out boat hull dimensions and prop sizes and pitches to achieve the best result.

More importantly it it gives all the standard variations on each engine to achieve the aim. Basically the only difference is bigger injectors and higher rpm - only bolt on stuff different, no internal changes.

The 6-71 M and N are rated at 185 BHP (bare engine) 174 SHP (with accessories)@ 1,800 rpm with N55 injectors and 265BHP (240SHP)@ 2,300rpm with N70 injectors and 280BHP (257 SHP) @ 2.300 with N80 injectors.

The most interesting one is the 6-V53

It ranges from the basic 100SHP @ 2,400RPM with N40 Injectors right through 7 progressively more powerful engines just boosted by injector size until we reach the 6V-53T. Same engine but @ 2,800RPM with N70 Injectors and turbo-boost giving 292SHP. In other words they tripled the power just by stuffing more fuel and air into it!

Lang
Last edit: 4 years 5 months ago by Lang.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Dave_64

More
4 years 5 months ago #204472 by Blackduck59
No eBay APP ID and/or Cert ID defined in Kunena configurationReplied by Blackduck59 on topic 671 GM big horse power.
Squirrely AD, says for 1 engine then both engines for sale.
My take is they are 240 HP each and they are quoting it as a package at 480 HP.
Cheers Steve.

More
4 years 5 months ago #204474 by Lang
No. Looks like he is right. Some beaut Screamer noise here!

24 gal - 100 litres per hour!

More
4 years 4 months ago #204480 by cobbadog
No eBay APP ID and/or Cert ID defined in Kunena configurationReplied by cobbadog on topic 671 GM big horse power.
At one time I was going to build a "Prony Brake", I think that is what it is called. It uses a friction pad to be applied against say the flywheel of an old engine and the arm is pivoted and a counter balance weight is used as well. Then out with the calculator and with known RPM and weights and diameter you can work out the HP.
Way beyond me at the moment so the idea never got off the ground.

Cheers Cobba & Cobbarette
Coopernook, The Centre of our Universe
Working on more play time.

• BillyP
  • Topic Author
  • I wish i could remember all the things i have forgotten...
More
4 years 4 months ago - 4 years 4 months ago #204487 by BillyP
No eBay APP ID and/or Cert ID defined in Kunena configurationReplied by BillyP on topic 671 GM big horse power.

That plate says M 95 squirters and that is for a 450 hp job.
Guessing that the 485 hp will be larger again
………………..Billy...………………..

I CAME INTO THIS WORLD WITH NOTHING & STILL HAVE MOST OF IT.........................

I used to be a truck driver,
but i am now not a truck driver ,
on a good day i can remember
that i used to be a truck driver.
Attachments:
Last edit: 4 years 4 months ago by BillyP.

Time to create page: 0.582 seconds