Skip to main content

Trickyelec problem chamberlain 3380

More
1 year 1 month ago #244665 by Sarge
As you do, I was struggling to fix one little problem and found more. Little problem was the throttle cable, piece of cake..... yeah nah. Its a double action special cable, $200 but not in stock... mate silver soldered the fancy end back on...... to remove it I had to dismantle the console holding the steering wheel and dash.... to put it back I also had to remove the brake pedal and some floor section and swear long and loud.. but I digress, the Trickeylecy problem, some previous owner has done some repairs to the wiring, usual way, just cut hack splice, and ignore the fuse panel. But that's not the thing..... I found one wire slipon end pinched in the dash/console join. It looked like it came off the oil pressure gauge maybe.

I checked it for power, key of key on, nothing. Started the tractor, nothing, one more time.... test light nice and bright. Just idling few minutes later after testing other loose ends, weak glow only..... key off, no change. Engine off, still light, bright again, minute later, off. No power. More testing, same result, no change if engine revs increased.
Voltage, Oil presure & temp gauge working, hydraulic warning light working. Alternator not working. Fuel gauge not working.
There has been a respray in the past so chasing the wiring will be a pain.....

Just looking for years of experience to point me in a logical direction ..... tractor looks like it is back in one piece and going fine.
I wonder if it might be a second hydraulic presure active wire, but there is nowhere to connect it. And it does not light up until the engine is running.

Let me have it experts....

Sarge B)
ACCO Owner, Atkinson dreamer.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
1 year 1 month ago #244667 by hayseed

. Alternator not working.

Sarge, are talking about the Alternator Itself , Or the Alternator Light...??

"Be who you are and say what you feel...
Because those that matter...
don't mind...
And those that mind....
don't matter." -

More
1 year 1 month ago #244669 by Sarge
Alternator or voltage reg seem to have retired from service, but that was months ago. There never was an alternator light, key on voltage gauge shows 12.5 ish.... drops back for cranking and when the alternator was working 13.5 ish.... now just the unchanged 12.5 when running.

Sarge B)

More
1 year 1 month ago - 1 year 1 month ago #244671 by cobbadog
Since this wire is live one minute and not so the next it could be one of 2 things. Bad Earth or a loosw connection of the power to this wire. This will mean tracking it back down the line. A nice sharp box cutter knife to scrape the paint off as it heads off down the line or maybe a thinners rag but you will need to track it, sorry.
Let the swearing begin again!

Cheers Cobba & Cobbarette
Coopernook, The Centre of our Universe
Working on more play time.
Last edit: 1 year 1 month ago by cobbadog.

More
1 year 1 month ago #244672 by hayseed
Mrsmack has(or at least had) a 4080. I reckon He'd have a Workshop Manual with a Wiring Diagram...!!Maybe..:side:

"Be who you are and say what you feel...
Because those that matter...
don't mind...
And those that mind....
don't matter." -

More
1 year 1 month ago #244673 by V8Ian
Could the errant wire be the exciter for the alternator?

More
1 year 1 month ago #244676 by Sarge
Cobba, the on off low power performs the same each test, so not, I think a loose wire. V8, I wondered about an exciter too, but it is dead with ignition on until the engine is running, and then is bright for a short time before fading to soft glow.

Other odd thing, this wire has a grommet on it like it came through a fire wall ...... there isn't one. No other wires have grommets.

Seed, Wiring diagram might be next option. At least the tractor is going again so I can go rescue the loader...... clutch gone in that......

Sarge B)
The following user(s) said Thank You: cobbadog

More
1 year 1 month ago #244678 by Mrsmackpaul
Does it have a oil pressure light for the two speed power shift

Wont be the extire of the alternator

These arent wired that way, or they weren't from the factory

Does it still have a amp gauge ?

If not it might one of those discarded to no longer be needed

Most of these tractors were changed to a volt gauge
The oil pressure light should on until the tractor is started and the transmission has oil pressure

Not all tractors had the light but I reckon all tractors would have the wire and possibly the switch on the transmission

I do have a book for these but its out of reach for foreseeable future, maybe six months or more

The oil light is a red 2 inch guage the same size as the rest of the gauges and

I got a bit lost with the problem solving description you provided sorry, so Im not real sure whats going on

Paul

Your better to die trying than live on your knees begging
The following user(s) said Thank You: cobbadog

More
1 year 1 month ago #244680 by Sarge
Thanks Paul, it does have the oil pressure light for the shift change, and it still works fine.

This line behaves a bit the same as that light. Except it won't come on with just ignition on, the engine has to be running, but after a minute or so the test light dims considerably. It seems to be activated by pressure, I wonder if there was potential for a remotes or 3pl hydraulic pressure warning light.???

Ignorance is bliss, so I will continue to bumble my way around..... it goes and stops and the smoke is not getting out of the wires (yet).

Sarge B)

More
1 year 1 month ago #244698 by Gryphon
Hi,

does this toy have an electric fuel pump? I have actually read the instructions that come with the Facet style electric pumps and they describe being wired through an oil pressure switch so that if oil pressure drops the pump will shut down.

Some of your description sounds like power is available when the oil pressure is there and no power when it is not, thus made me think of the electric fuel pump set up.

Terry

Time to create page: 0.448 seconds