Skip to main content

Trickyelec problem chamberlain 3380

More
1 year 1 month ago #244701 by jon_d
To me, it sounds like the alternator dash light wire.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
1 year 1 month ago - 1 year 1 month ago #244704 by 180wannabe
That wire with a grommet sounds familiar Sarge. Is it the wire that powers the windscreen washer bottle? I sort of think maybe it comes out of a hole half way up the LHS of the dash, a bit above the clutch pedal. Don't know why that would have a variable/intermittent feed to it though. Otherwise, is it off the back of the fuel gauge?

I loaned my 4080 book to local mechanic last week, but have a 4480 book here i can scan wiring diagram and email to you if you want to PM your email address.

Brett.
Last edit: 1 year 1 month ago by 180wannabe. Reason: add detail

More
1 year 1 month ago - 1 year 1 month ago #244705 by 77louie400

Thanks Paul, it does have the oil pressure light for the shift change, and it still works fine.

This line behaves a bit the same as that light. Except it won't come on with just ignition on, the engine has to be running, but after a minute or so the test light dims considerably. It seems to be activated by pressure, I wonder if there was potential for a remotes or 3pl hydraulic pressure warning light.???

Ignorance is bliss, so I will continue to bumble my way around..... it goes and stops and the smoke is not getting out of the wires (yet).

My 4080 is like that from memory, never taken a lot of notice, always starts runs and charges, it is set up so the battery does not go flat if you leave the key on I would think, the light will go out when the charge voltage equals battery voltage.
Last edit: 1 year 1 month ago by 77louie400.

More
1 year 1 month ago #244709 by Sarge
Terry, totally unsophisticated. No electric fuel pump. Leaky mechanical which is the cause of the alternator death me thinks.
Brett. I don’t have a w/washer bottle…. Just a gap where it should be….
Will revisit the fuel gauge wiring, but nothing was missing no blank pins…
Jon. Fairly sure not alternator feed. Nowhere for it to feed to and not responding as alternator feed should.
77Lou, not sure I follow, key on engine off the only power draw should be volt meter…..

All good grist for my little mill….
Thank you all.

Sarge B)
ACCO Owner, Atkinson dreamer.

More
1 year 1 month ago #244711 by Mrsmackpaul
The first of the 80 series were quite different to later ones

On a C670 the model before the 80 series oil pressure switch was a switch that didn't short to ground when oil pressure was obtained, it's contacts closed and allowed the alternator to excite

The alternator didn't turn on and off with a key or knob you turned or a switch, rather with oil pressure
It was a good reliable system

I wonder if your 80 series has this fitted for some reason

Paul

Your better to die trying than live on your knees begging
The following user(s) said Thank You: 180wannabe

More
1 year 1 month ago #244712 by Sarge
Mine is an early 3380, it is not the more common 3380B. So Paul you might be on the money. The activation of the wire parallelS I imagine oil pressure behaviour.

I need to finish my log splitting next few days and get back into the shed..... maybe my alternator is fine, just need to reconnect this wire to something. .....

Sarge B)
The following user(s) said Thank You: cobbadog

More
1 year 1 month ago #244713 by 180wannabe
Email sent re PM.

Brett.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Sarge

More
1 year 1 month ago #244730 by Sarge
Thanks Brett, I have run away for a few days. Electrickery can wait.

Sarge B)
The following user(s) said Thank You: 180wannabe, cobbadog

More
1 year 2 weeks ago #244964 by Sarge
Thought I had found it, boys look sort of thing, had to tow the inter loader back to the shed (another drama) noticed no reading on the oil pressure gauge, obviously I didn't look properly first time...... did the tow job, tractor in the shed.... next day another little job, oil gauge working perfectly..... the rogue lead is fully taped off..... time to pull it apart again and do some colour matching with Brett's map.

Sarge B)
The following user(s) said Thank You: cobbadog

More
1 year 2 weeks ago #244967 by PDU
I'd say it was time for some black electrical tape. :lol:
The following user(s) said Thank You: cobbadog, wee-allis

Time to create page: 0.525 seconds