Skip to main content

Talking about holes in cylinder liners.

• BillyP
  • Topic Author
  • I wish i could remember all the things i have forgotten...
More
10 months 2 weeks ago - 10 months 2 weeks ago #246182 by BillyP
Many moons ago................
A few of us were looking for gold on a property out of Tibooburra.
They had an old grader that was used to clean up the tracks around the property ..(it may have been a model D Alice
or something similar). Anyway this day the operator calls it quits for the day and calls the homestead to send someone ,out
to pick him up . The grader just stays on the track till he kicks off in the morning.
Morning comes, but the grader wont fire up.....(i think it has a flat battery or something) says the operator............
After a fair bit of fiddling about, it looks like it has a hydraulic lock or something.............
Turned out to be some worm holes in a liner and the cylinder was full of water..........
The boss says rain is coming soon and we have to get the tracks finished pronto..........
They drop the sump ,remove the head just where the grader sat with the blade down etc.
So with parts spread all over the track they spot the hole in the liner..........
Pull that liner out and we will have a look see at the problem ................
The liner is taken back to the workshop where they put a dollup of weld on all the worm holes......
(On the outside of corse).......
Throw the liner back in ..........pick all the bits up off the ground and shove it back together ,
only new parts used were a few tubes of GasketGoo apart from oil water etc.............
The boss says we will take a risk of the other liners having holes in them,
Now, get going before the rain sets in and we will have a look at the donk in the foreseeable future .............

Well, we went back a couple of years later and the old grader was still choofing along gracefully.............

Admittedly , it did sit idle for a greater part of the year ............, but there you go........
Nothing ventured , nothing gained..................

.....................Billy.......................

I CAME INTO THIS WORLD WITH NOTHING & STILL HAVE MOST OF IT.........................

I used to be a truck driver,
but i am now not a truck driver ,
on a good day i can remember
that i used to be a truck driver.
Last edit: 10 months 2 weeks ago by BillyP.
The following user(s) said Thank You: 180wannabe, cobbadog, Lang, overlander, PaulFH, asw120, Southbound, Tacho, xspanrman, oliver1950 and 1 other people also said thanks.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
10 months 2 weeks ago #246183 by wee-allis
Back in the 90s, I was working for a bus company on the Central Coast of NSW. We had some buses which did the outlying parts of the area and were kept at the drivers home up in the mountains for the early start each morning. After the last run of the day they were parked back home, only coming to the depot once a week for fuel.

One afternoon I got a call from a driver to complain that his bus was down on power and overheating. When I got there, he fires up the old Leyland. It made the worst sound any mechanic could imagine. Long story short, towed back to the depot, engine out and stripped down. Number 3 piston was missing totally. The gudgeon pin had worn through the liner and the block. All the missing bits were in the sump. Not saying the driver was not switched on, but he swore that he never heard a single noise out of the engine. The kids on his run must have been the worst, noisiest lot on the planet, as it didn't all go pear shaped on that last run.

Any way fitted a new engine and sent it back to work. Some time later, I was speaking with an engine reconditioner at Nambucca Heads about the disaster. He assured me that he could repair the block so it was sent to him. He bored the block, fitted a sleeve, then bored that out to take an original liner. The engine was rebuilt and did years of service after that. Some blokes are incredible with what they not only attempt, but also achieve.
The following user(s) said Thank You: 180wannabe, cobbadog, overlander, PaulFH, asw120, Southbound

More
10 months 2 weeks ago #246185 by jon_d
You should see my ride on mower. :unsure: :unsure:
The following user(s) said Thank You: PaulFH, asw120

More
10 months 2 weeks ago #246186 by asw120

You should see my ride on mower. :unsure: :unsure:
I just retired the old blue Rancher. I could see the blades :)

Jarrod.

“I offer my opponents a bargain: if they will stop telling lies about us, I will stop telling the truth about them”

― Adlai E. Stevenson II
The following user(s) said Thank You: 180wannabe, PaulFH

More
10 months 2 weeks ago - 10 months 2 weeks ago #246187 by jon_d
When I was getting the bus ready for its RWC, I discovered the pinion gasket was leaking.

To replace the oil seal and rice paper gaskets, the flange and front bearings with its preload has to be removed. The diff guy who was setting it all up discovered that the inner bearing race of the pinion rear was spinning in stead of being pressed on.

I managed to find a mob who could make a single inner bearing race. Same OD yet 2 thou smaller ID. Left is the old, Right is the new. It pressed on perfectly and slid straight into the bearing race.

Last edit: 10 months 2 weeks ago by jon_d.

More
10 months 2 weeks ago #246189 by Southbound
I've seen a hole in a wet liner bronzed up. It was an Inter tractor on a hobby farm and Old Mate didn't want a big expensive rebuild.

I'd rather have tools that I don't need, than not have the tools I do need.
The following user(s) said Thank You: 180wannabe, PaulFH, asw120, wee-allis

Time to create page: 0.506 seconds