Skip to main content

Latest time waster project - 67 Utility

More
3 months 2 weeks ago #250172 by cobbadog
Started the next one today, an oldish utility model that was not in bad nick. Undecided so far as to just wipe its bum and make it run or another paint job. Engine is in great shape, high compression, sparks well just want to clean the fuel tank and carby. Will sleep on it and make a decision as I get stuck into it.

Cheers Cobba & Cobbarette
Coopernook, The Centre of our Universe
Working on more play time.
The following user(s) said Thank You: 180wannabe

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
3 months 2 weeks ago #250184 by cobbadog
This is it. About 1967 Utility with upgraded handles that fold. Engine is very good just cleaned n gapped the points n spark improved a lot. Made my mind up to paint this one too as the original pant is very flakey. May not be original colours but I do like upsetting the purists. Got a few very hot days from tomorrow so not sure how far I will get but its not a race.

The following user(s) said Thank You: 180wannabe, Mrsmackpaul, PaulFH, oliver1950

More
3 months 1 week ago #250194 by cobbadog
Well the fuel tank is fill of black granules n tar lije stuff n bloody hard to shift so found a replacement tank on a Consul long engine. Im trying to find something to dissolve this stuff but nothing so far is looking at it. Cowel has 2 small recesses but one has been bashed in so working on putting it right.

The following user(s) said Thank You: IHScout, PaulFH, asw120

More
3 months 1 week ago #250195 by mammoth
Gunge is maybe a combination of rust and petrol residue - so a strong degreaser to separate the residue from the rust and then your favourite anti rust potion
The following user(s) said Thank You: cobbadog, PaulFH

More
3 months 1 week ago #250198 by Gryphon
Hi,

if the stuff in tank smells like paint thinners then get some liquid paint brush cleaner/renovator to clean dried paint of brushes. Not much else I have found will touch it.

Terry
The following user(s) said Thank You: cobbadog, PaulFH

More
3 months 1 week ago #250201 by cobbadog
It stank of reall old stale fuel, the worse Ive ever come across. Even though this tank is now not going to be used as the replacement is ready for testing for leaks and cleaning back to bare metal I will still see if I canbreak this down. I have a number of options to try and as usual I start with the least invasive first.
By lunch time today it was way too hot here for play time outside so will have a go again tomorrow.

More
3 months 1 week ago #250217 by cobbadog
Cleaned n fitted new "0" rings to the fuel tap then finished the panel beating of tge cowel. Texta mark shows how big the damage was but now left with tge fuel tap recess

The following user(s) said Thank You: 180wannabe, PaulFH

More
3 months 1 week ago #250223 by Tacho
Cobbadog, I had a similar experience with brown/black treacle like goo in a fuel tank and had good cleaning success with acetone.
The following user(s) said Thank You: cobbadog, wouldyou, PaulFH

More
3 months 1 week ago - 3 months 1 week ago #250228 by cobbadog
Got more parts back to bare metal. Used some caustic solution to remove the paint but did not look at the old hammertone paint but took the dark green paint off., so back on the flapper disc. Also rebirthed some tyres, never done it before but happy they look better than being bald.

Last edit: 3 months 1 week ago by cobbadog.
The following user(s) said Thank You: 180wannabe, Mrsmackpaul, PaulFH, asw120

More
3 months 1 week ago #250229 by Zuffen
I hope those tyres were labelled as regroovable.
The following user(s) said Thank You: cobbadog, V8Ian

Time to create page: 0.583 seconds