Skip to main content

I940's Pics - Catalinas, RAAF

• Topic Author
14 years 3 weeks ago #25827 by
Replied by on topic Re: I940's Pics - Catalinas, RAAF
Roland - I have no idea what the RAAF serial number is on the second Catalina at Mallala. The nearest I can guess, from the more distinct tail code, is that it is FJ-F .. which makes it RAAF serial A24-32.

The A24-372 is very clear and distinct, along with RB-Q .. and that means that the ADF serials page has an error that needs to be corrected, as RB-Q is identified as RAAF A24-48.
It's not uncommon to discover regular errors in WW2 aircraft ID, as they mostly had a long and chequered history, and many were patched together and had identifying numbers changed.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Topic Author
14 years 3 weeks ago - 14 years 3 weeks ago #25828 by
Hi Onetrack.

I cannot get them any clearer mate.
By the magic of Photoshop...

Looks like LJF to me, what do you think ?

The originals are only 52 x 82mm.

Cheers
RS :)

More
14 years 2 weeks ago - 14 years 2 weeks ago #25829 by RTAT4660
Hi Roland
Love these pics thanks so much for posting them, my father navigated Liberators out of Darwin with 12sq and was in Darwin around the same time, chances are they may have shared a beer! Mate if you are going through you pics and see anything of Liberator heavy Bombers in there please give me a yell, I would love to get a hold of them for the "Old Man"

'Dats Just Dodgy
Last edit: 14 years 2 weeks ago by RTAT4660.

• Topic Author
14 years 2 weeks ago #25830 by
Hi RTAT

I only have one Liberator pic.

Its Code is A74 54.

Maybe the Pluto logo, is in your Dads memory somewhere ?

If you would like a hi-resolution version, just PM me and I can email it to you.

Cheers

• Topic Author
14 years 2 weeks ago - 14 years 2 weeks ago #25831 by

Roland - I have no idea what the RAAF serial number is on the second Catalina at Mallala. The nearest I can guess, from the more distinct tail code, is that it is FJ-F .. which makes it RAAF serial A24-32.

Hi OneTrack

I have an update on this one.
First the pic is from Darwin, not Mallala.(my mistake)
It is LJ F, A24 69. which was later converted from Amphibian to flying boat at Lake Boga. With a few swift strokes from the signwriter, LJ F became FJ P. :)

Cheers

More
14 years 1 day ago #25832 by tim
RTAT4660. There is a Liberator at Werribee Victoria currently undergoing restoration. I have'nt been to see it for a year or so but it is well along. They will have it as a static display, but the engines are able to be run. They have bench run the engines but not sure if they have been fitted to the airframe as yet. The biggest problem is they have to move the aircraft to another hangar & to do that they will have to remove the wings as the current hangar is tooo small to get it out the doors.
I am going up for a visit with an interest group some time in May so will have a better idea then. cya Tim ;D

1989 FORD F350 Lariat Crewcab Dually

More
14 years 1 day ago #25833 by RTAT4660
Hi Tim, yeah my father and I have followed that for quite a few years now, they have had all sorts of problems along the way and I must get down there myself to have a look, would love to see some pics if you get the time

'Dats Just Dodgy

More
13 years 11 months ago #25834 by tim
Hi Mate, just had a look at the Liberator website & looks like the engines are in position
website is B24 Liberator Restoration Australia
well worth looking at. The group I'm going up with won't be going until mid August. All the best Tim ;D

1989 FORD F350 Lariat Crewcab Dually

More
13 years 11 months ago #25835 by VicHung
Hi Roland and Onetrack

It was great to see the photos and story about the Catalinas; we had quite a number of them here with the RNZAF and I used to watch them landing and taking off on the Waitemata Harbour in Auckland when I was a boy. My father was in the RNZAF during the war as a truck driver and as a 4 and 5 year old I used to ride around with him in one of the Mack trucks he used to drive to the Air Force bases and actually got to sit in a Catalina at one time.

You probably know that there is an airworthy Catalina in New Zealand and on Sunday it was flying from the Ardmore airfield near Auckland, right above where I was standing watching my grandchildren racing motocross. It was a great sight and sound, I can tell you.

• Swishy
  • If U don't like my Driving .... well then get off the footpath ...... LOL
More
13 years 11 months ago #25836 by Swishy

Well Hung Vic
GuddayM8

U're mother might tell U
"Dont leave home with out a clean undies n a hanky"

So we tell U
n everybody else
"Don't Leave home with out a camera"