Skip to main content

My brother's tractors

More
13 years 3 weeks ago #48985 by Roderick Smith
In 1976, my brother realised a childhood dream: he and is wife bought a farm near Kyabram.
I was given the task of floating my sister-in-law's two horses from suburban Melbourne to the farm, using my Holden EK. Luckily, one of the horses refused to go aboard, as I had enough trouble trailing just one over Pretty Sally.
The next trick was to collect a borrowed trailer, and then a tractor from a property about 30 km away.
The trailer was a ton, the tractor was a ton; unknown to me, the rear tyres were filled with water (another ton). Even on the flat roads of the area, I was having trouble moving the rig in third gear.

That tractor is still on the farm, plus a second one.

Roderick B Smith
Rail News Victoria Editor

Please Log in to join the conversation.

13 years 3 weeks ago - 13 years 3 weeks ago #48986 by
Replied by on topic Re: My brother's tractors
Goodonya, Rod! .. nothing like pics of the overloads of the 1960's, and the rough treatment handed out to the early Holdens! .. :D
My brother worked for a bulldozing contractor who carried his 4 tons of stud-link anchor clearing chain, draped between a tandem car trailer, and an EK Holden ute!! .. :o
He had to pump the tyres up to 65 psi, to stop them looking so flat! .. then he found he'd split the rims with the pressure!! .. :D

He also owned a KB-1 International truck at an earlier time, that he used to tow a home-made, 16' caravan, that a bloke working in the Midland Railways Workshops, had built in his spare time (no doubt, largely from materials purloined from the workshops!) .. :D

This caravan had a steel pipe frame, with CGI cladding attached to the frame! It was over-built to such a point, that one time .. one of the dozer operators, driving the KB-1, rolled the 'van whilst cornering, without realising it! .. :o

He complained to his mate in the passenger seat that the KB-1 was pulling hard, as he went back a gear!
It was only then, that they checked the mirrors, and found that they were dragging the caravan up the road, on its side!! .. ;D ;D

They stopped and righted the van, and there was virtually no damage to it, apart from some scrape marks on the CGI! (it was on a hard-packed dirt road). Imagine doing that today?? .. ;D

Cheers - Ron.

More
13 years 14 hours ago #48987 by Roderick Smith
Around 1965, my neighbour bought a 6 m two-axle caravan, and towed it home with a Holden EK. AFAIK the caravan was fitted with vacuum brakes, but the car wasn't fitted, so it came back unbraked. He trouble at traffic lights. Soon he had a Studebaker V8, fitted, as the tow vehicle.

Today, two photos of the smaller of my brother's two tractors: A Fordson Super Dexta. I am guessing that it was the one in my trailer photo.

There is quite a lot on the web by googling. The type was built over 1962-64.

Roderick B Smith

More
13 years 6 hours ago #48988 by Rusty Engines
Some info on the above tractor
They were called

More
12 years 11 months ago #48989 by D8H
Replied by D8H on topic Re: My brother's tractors
In 2001 shifted a Britstand Ripper (weight 2,700lb) from
Ensay Vic to Central West NSW on a bogie trailer, towed
it with an XC Falcon Utility (4.1 Engine ). Did a lot of miles
in first gear between there and Bright Vic.

12 years 11 months ago - 12 years 11 months ago #48990 by
Replied by on topic Re: My brother's tractors
Rod - That tractor is definitely well over a ton and a half .. but I don't know that you'd get a ton of water in the rear tyres of a Dexta. More like half a ton of water.
The end result is still a good 2 tons on the trailer. The trailer itself would be

More
12 years 11 months ago #48991 by Roderick Smith
I have two photos of the other tractor for tomorrow, but the towing stories are too good to wait for then.
My boat is 9 m on a single axle. I did worry about it when I bought it, but the boat is only marine ply, and only 1600 kg all up (trailer and fully-provisioned boat). Lots of delivery vans would have a higher load on their tyres. I tow with a Subaru Liberty Outback, 6 cylinder, rated for 1800 kg. It munches fuel, but handles all roads and boat ramps with ease. I'll get a photo up somewhere sometime.

Roderick B Smith

More
12 years 11 months ago - 12 years 11 months ago #48992 by Roderick Smith
Here are my final tractor photos until I attend another rally, or start my spring boating.

My brother's other tractor, which is larger.

Roderick B Smith

Last edit: 12 years 11 months ago by Roderick Smith.

More
12 years 11 months ago #48993 by q4016lanz
Replied by q4016lanz on topic Re: My brother's tractors
Hi Roderick The new fordson major built from 1952 to 1957 the diesel model EIADDN and petrol model EIADKN.I grew up in p6 erea and the new major were a much beter tractor with the 3 L 3H gear box 4cyl diesel very economical and i still use one around the property CHEERS JOHN. :) :)

Time to create page: 0.505 seconds