Skip to main content

Replacing brake linings - Fergie

More
12 years 10 months ago #53958 by HeyCharger
Hi guys. Is it a simple procedure to replace the brake linings (not the whole shoe) on a Fergie? Do you just drill out the old rivets? Haven't done it before and seeing its about $100 cheaper than buying the full set of shoes, thought I'd ask. Rod.

Proud owner of;
1948 Massey Harris 44K.
1946 Ford Semi-Trailer Bus.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
12 years 10 months ago #53959 by Eddy
yup

then when ya get to puttin on the new ones, start riveting in the middle and work gradually outwards.

Be it firearms or V8 engines, the question is not "why should you have them?"
, but "who are you to demand that I justify them?"

More
12 years 10 months ago #53960 by kenny-mopar
also be aware the rivits are usually a lot larger than your hardwear variety

More
12 years 10 months ago #53961 by Chocs
You should really have a tool to peen the rivet correctly.
A drill hole into the end of some round bar will assist the rivet to peen evenly.
Make sure everything is clean and de burred before you start

If you poke all the rivets through the holes in the lining..
Use sticky tape or packing tape to hold the rivets in..
Have a bolt sticking up out of the vice, that will fit neatly into the hole in the lining where the rivet head is.
Place the rivet head on the bolt and peen away..
Ball peen hammer would suffice for the fergie i guess...
won't be as if she'll be runnin Bathurst this year?
chocs

More
12 years 10 months ago - 12 years 10 months ago #53962 by HeyCharger
Thanks guys for the advice. Very helpful.

Proud owner of;
1948 Massey Harris 44K.
1946 Ford Semi-Trailer Bus.
Last edit: 12 years 10 months ago by HeyCharger.

12 years 10 months ago - 12 years 10 months ago #53963 by
Rod - Chocs advice is spot-on. I usually grind the points off the hex of a bolt head, until it's round, and it's a perfect fit in the rivet head hole.
In addition, you need to clamp the lining to the shoe (small G-clamps are the go), each side of where you're riveting, to ensure that the lining is firmly held against the shoe, when you peen the rivet.

You can get a small punch for peening press-studs, that will work on rivets. Here's a pic of my press-stud punch .. the punch is getting a bit the worse for wear, because I've been peening stainless steel press-studs.

However, you can see the design of the end of the punch fairly clearly. It's just a knob surrounded by a slight concave machined depression. The knob opens up the rivet/press-stud, and the machined depression rolls the metal over, to give you a "proper", factory-looking, rolled finish.
These punches are available on fleabay, or you can pay a visit to a leather-working shop, or saddler, and they will generally have them for sale. Usually about $12 for one. They're about 65mm long and about 6mm in diameter.
If you have a mate with a lathe (Interstater, are you listening? ;D ), he should be able to knock a punch up for you, in less time than it takes to sink a coldie.

More
12 years 10 months ago #53964 by paul404
Here's my version of a brake rivetor,

Get an old U-bolt, weld on a piece of tube to guide your punch
weld a plate across the bottom to clamp in vice, or weld to ute tray if you have to.
As chocs says, put all the rivets in the holes, cover with masking tape so they don't fall out. Start tapping away, working from the centre out.

Time to create page: 0.628 seconds