Skip to main content

clearing chain? where to buy

More
12 years 8 months ago #61812 by kenny-mopar
have been using 1" cable behind the old kirovets tractor ..(yep to pull out trees :o) am after maybe 10 metres or so of the old clearing/drag chain? ..no idea where to buy it ..also is it hi-tensile or not etc
cheers ken

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
12 years 8 months ago - 12 years 8 months ago #61813 by RocksnRoses
Years ago when clearing was still allowed around here, the farmers used to buy old anchor chain from the scrap dealers. I don't know whether it is still available or not, but that might be worth looking into.
That was for chaining scrub though, I'm not sure whether you are chaining or just pulling trees out.

RnR.
Last edit: 12 years 8 months ago by RocksnRoses.

More
12 years 8 months ago #61814 by kenny-mopar
am doing it the madman way ...pulling trees out . . anchor chain sounds good

More
12 years 8 months ago #61815 by ianoz

am doing it the madman way ...pulling trees out . . anchor chain sounds good

The poor guy climbing the tree with the chain may not think it such a good idea ;) ;D.

More
12 years 8 months ago - 12 years 8 months ago #61816 by kenny-mopar
yeah thats me .. am using 1-1/8"cable at the moment..but man that cable is incredibly heavy.. generally only have to get the cable around 7 or 8ft high .. the old russian tractor is a big heavy old girl (
<--same model) ... still cant find anywhere to buy "anchor chain" from the cable i have is getting a bit short for the taller trees . . . :-X
Last edit: 12 years 8 months ago by kenny-mopar.

More
12 years 8 months ago - 12 years 8 months ago #61817 by Lang
Ken,

Anchor chain is not high tensile - they are all about weight not strength.

A normal load binder chain or crane lift chain would be half the weight and as much as 4 times as strong depending on type.

The 4X4 guys are all using a fancy new rope on their winches instead of wire cable. Just looks like ordinary nylon rope but about twice the strength of the wire rope. 12mm dia has a fantastic breaking strain of 16.4 tonnes and miraculously only weighs 9.3kg for 100 metres!!! You could climb any height of tree with that in one hand.

Just look up Dyneema Rope or go to this site www.brisbanerope.com.au/dyneema.php?gcli...ucl6sCFWdKpgodIkWGvA

Lang
Last edit: 12 years 8 months ago by Lang.

Time to create page: 0.409 seconds