Skip to main content

Bedford Knocking Troubles

More
11 years 2 weeks ago #114262 by diamondnutt
Gday,
I have a TK Bedford 1969, with a Bedford 330 Diesel, 4 speed box and a single speed rear end. She sat in a shed for 12 years idle before I bought her. Don't have any history other than she worked Sydney Markets and Newcastle Markets from the Central Coast 4 times a week. - No Mecanical history as gent was not exactly fluent in English although here for 50 years!!!!!!

I started to get a knock coming from within the motor, so i had the injectors cleaned and re-inserted the injectors, fired her up and she still was knocking

I was told to remove the head and get it serviced, which we found out 2 valves were dodgy and the head gasket was wrong. Back together again, got running without a hesistation, the knock reappeared but the sound seemed to be coming from the front of the motor. The motor is running sweet, there is not a miss in the exhaust, holding oil pressure well, and water temp is smooth (no fluxuation)

So we have just pulled the oil pan off to find small bits of piston and ring in the pan but they have come from the number 6 cylinder (rear of the motor)

I was wondering if anyone else has had this problem, or could explain the why the sound of the knock would be coming from the front, when the rear cylinder has the damage???
Would this be referred noise from vibration???? - No scoring in cylinders.
:)Any Help Much Appreciated:)
Diamondnutt junior

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
11 years 2 weeks ago #114263 by mammoth
Judging from what you saw with the head there has probably been a very poor mechanic at work. Accordingly I would be checking all bearings rings etc. It could have run a big end at the front but not so much as to lose oil pressure.
Good luck with it.

More
11 years 2 weeks ago #114264 by diamondnutt
Thanks mate for your comments. Do you know of any one or anywhere we can pick up bits for this project that are not gold lined? This is Junior's first project. we know we can get stuff from UK but would like to try local first. Thanks again , will check all of what you have said on motor. Already decided to lift the head back off again and check all pistons. Didn't check bottom half as all looked good from the top once cleaned up prior to reinstalling the head.

Thanks again
Diamondnutt (original - not a pomy fan)

11 years 2 weeks ago #114265 by
Replied by on topic Re: Bedford Knocking Troubles
Hi DN , it sure looks like you have pommey truck blood running thru your veins or maybe a closet pommey lover ;D ;D you could try ACW in Bayswater Vic they should be able to you on the right line . dave

More
11 years 2 weeks ago #114266 by mammoth
Mr Motor Parts in Sydney will have some parts www.mrmotorparts

More
11 years 2 weeks ago #114267 by billy bed stead
If the 330 is the same as 466. We had a knock when the engine warmed up which was a result of piston and valve clash. The pistons are installed in the block and then using a dial indicator to measure the distance from top of the block to top of piston. There is a set tolerance for this. Mark each piston ,remove and machine and replace. If you just machine 30 thou of all pistons the compression will be lower and result in unbalanced compression and lower HP some thing that no Bedford can do with out. Contact me if you require the piston heights.

More
11 years 1 week ago #114268 by Backyard Fixer
I've a odd knock in my slant 6 when she warmed up after a long rest. These posts are interesting.

Hard working Christian father of three.&&1964 AP5 Valiant restored daily driver.&&19

Time to create page: 0.484 seconds