Skip to main content

Fuel Problem

More
9 years 9 months ago #146454 by Backyard Fixer
Fuel Problem was created by Backyard Fixer
Hello All,

I have fitted at electric fuel pump to my 318 as the manual one started leaking alot of fuel.

I don't think the pump is pumping enough fuel. I had to screw idle screw right in to keep it running. When out on the road it seams to run out of fuel at about 30 mph, engine just cuts out for a bit, engine speed picks for a bit then dies again.

Fuel filter is empty when I pull up for a look and head scratch.

Any tips?

Hard working Christian father of three.&&1964 AP5 Valiant restored daily driver.&&19

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
9 years 9 months ago #146455 by asw120
Replied by asw120 on topic Re: Fuel Problem
Where have you mounted the pump? The one I used (Facet) is supposed to be right near the fuel tank. They pump alright, but they don't suck real good. I had endless vapour locks when I mounted it next to the old mechanical pump. After I moved it next to the tank, no more problems.

Jarrod.

“I offer my opponents a bargain: if they will stop telling lies about us, I will stop telling the truth about them”

― Adlai E. Stevenson II

More
9 years 9 months ago #146456 by Bugly
Replied by Bugly on topic Re: Fuel Problem
Yep, what Jarrod said. Electric fuel pumps are designed either as 'pullers' or 'pushers'. 'Pullers' are mounted near the carby and suck well but have low pressure. they are designed to lift the fuel from the tank, but not to pump to a great head height. They have lower pressure because they are almost at the carby. The 'Pushers' on the other hand have higher pressure, and are designed to be mounted at the tank and happily push the fuel to a greater head height.

1948 Fordson E83W 10/10 pickup

More
9 years 9 months ago - 9 years 9 months ago #146457 by geoffb
Replied by geoffb on topic Re: Fuel Problem
If you go with as worded a pusher you may need a regulator as it might push the needle and seat open
Last edit: 9 years 9 months ago by geoffb.

More
9 years 9 months ago #146458 by Backyard Fixer
Replied by Backyard Fixer on topic Re: Fuel Problem
Thanks, I will move it tonght.

Hard working Christian father of three.&&1964 AP5 Valiant restored daily driver.&&19

More
9 years 9 months ago #146459 by tongalafarm
Replied by tongalafarm on topic Re: Fuel Problem
It's important to have a filter before the pump as rubbish can get caught in the valve and stop it,some cheap brands just don't work either,also make sure it's got a good earth and the correct voltage.good luck

More
9 years 9 months ago #146460 by Backyard Fixer
Replied by Backyard Fixer on topic Re: Fuel Problem
I have moved the fuel pump close to the fuel tank but I am unable to test drive because the dunny roll filter is not sealing and leaking oil. Any tips on these old filters.

I have ordered a spin of adaptor from the US but wanted to get the Dodge rock'n.

More
9 years 9 months ago #146461 by asw120
Replied by asw120 on topic Re: Fuel Problem
Actual bog roll filter (ie Frantz), or an original cartridge type like on an Inter petrol 6?
The Frantz, I have one on my Stude, has a clamp to pull the can on. You can buy new seals for them.
The Inter ones, Sometimes the housing is bent. When I first got the ASW it didn't leak until I replaced the filter cartridge. After that it wouldn't seal. I found the whole thing was just slightly bent, had to replace it. (I figure the engine was leaning on it last time it was out.)

If it's a full-flow one, the spin on is easier and cheaper.

Jarrod.

“I offer my opponents a bargain: if they will stop telling lies about us, I will stop telling the truth about them”

― Adlai E. Stevenson II

More
9 years 9 months ago #146462 by bparo
Replied by bparo on topic Re: Fuel Problem
My Inter one leaks if I put the seal on the cannister. Wipe the pump and cannister end clean put it on with metal to metal contact and it doesn't leak. I have never been able to work out why. Maybe it has a slight bend in it although it looks ok to me.

Having lived through a pandemic I now understand all the painting of fat people on couches!

More
9 years 9 months ago #146463 by theroadbossman
Replied by theroadbossman on topic Re: Fuel Problem
The dunny roll filters are just a problem, get rid of it and put a spin on filter on there - at least it will all stay together and won't leak. If you can't find an adapter on eBay, then PM me and I'll see what is way down the back ;)

Austral Tourmaster with 6V92T mechanical

Time to create page: 0.440 seconds