Skip to main content

Fuel Problem

More
9 years 9 months ago #146464 by Backyard Fixer
Replied by Backyard Fixer on topic Re: Fuel Problem

The dunny roll filters are just a problem, get rid of it and put a spin on filter on there - at least it will all stay together and won't leak. If you can't find an adapter on eBay, then PM me and I'll see what is way down the back ;)

I have a adaptor, I ordered one from US, it turned up the day after I got the dunny roll to seal. I will change to the spin on on the next oil change.

Hard working Christian father of three.&&1964 AP5 Valiant restored daily driver.&&19

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
9 years 9 months ago #146465 by theroadbossman
Replied by theroadbossman on topic Re: Fuel Problem
Do you know what spin-on to use?

Austral Tourmaster with 6V92T mechanical

More
9 years 9 months ago #146466 by Backyard Fixer
Not yet, I guess Z9

Hard working Christian father of three.&&1964 AP5 Valiant restored daily driver.&&19

More
9 years 9 months ago #146467 by theroadbossman
If you have the adapter now, which I guess you do as you said so ::) silly me, then screw the spigot into known filters that you might have lying about the place, like a z9 and so on.
That will tell you the thread size.
Then you need to measure the sealing surface, the inside (ID) and the outside (OD).
With the spigot thread known, and the seal size known, we are off and running ;)

More
9 years 9 months ago #146468 by dieseldog
Replied by dieseldog on topic Re: Fuel Problem
Tread carefully there fellas, an oil filter (like a Z9) has a bypass valve that will open when the filter blocks up. If your filtering fuel and she blocks up all the crap goes straight to the carby.

More
9 years 9 months ago #146469 by dieseldog
Replied by dieseldog on topic Re: Fuel Problem
Another alternative is a C.A.V type fuel filter, works well in anything and is simple and cheap to maintain. If you get the one without the glass water trap on the bottom, you can change the filter just as fast as a spin on type.

More
9 years 9 months ago #146470 by Beaver
Replied by Beaver on topic Re: Fuel Problem

It's important to have a filter before the pump as rubbish can get caught in the valve and stop it,some cheap brands just don't work either,also make sure it's got a good earth and the correct voltage.good luck

We've put SU pumps on a lot of our vehicles, and we were told not to put the filter on the inlet side, as it can damage the pump if it can't suck fuel up when the filter blocks.

Beaver@ Museum of Fire

More
9 years 9 months ago #146471 by Backyard Fixer
The Facet pump I put in included a 7? micron filter witch was required too be installed before pump.

More
9 years 9 months ago - 9 years 9 months ago #146472 by theroadbossman
DIESELDOG: Umm, we are talking about the oil filter and oil filter adapter to take a spin on oil filter; the fuel pump issue is way back in the post :)
But understand your point referring to putting oil filters on fuel systems - i get guys doing it all day and then ring me with a problem. Can't put brains in statues ::)

Last edit: 9 years 9 months ago by theroadbossman.

More
9 years 9 months ago #146473 by Battleduck
Replied by Battleduck on topic Re: Fuel Problem
The first thing you should be checking is what condition your fuel lines are in. If in doubt, replace them. There could be rubbish in the tank blocking the pickup and dirt built up in the lines or an air leak causing poor fuel flow. The factory setup must have worked okay at some stage. Better to check why it isn't, then make the improvements. A friend had a Leyland fire truck where the fuel line from the tank to the electric pump perished and collapsed on itself. Cleaned the tank out, replaced the pipe, no more problems. ;)

Time to create page: 0.505 seconds