Skip to main content

coil blowing up

More
8 years 4 months ago #164981 by why isnt it done yet
Hi all I havn't been on for a while although I am still working on my austin k8 so far Ive done all the sheet metal work on the body made up a lot of panels inside the cab. Now im trying to get the motor going on petrol { instead of aerostart ] the problem I have is the other day I had the k8 hooked up to my hilux [ jumper leads ] for about 20 minutes trying to get the electric fuel pump to get fuel up to the motor and starting it a few times on areo start and the top half blew off the coil I was hoping someone could explain why thanks in advance cheers geoff

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
8 years 4 months ago #164983 by geoffb

More
8 years 4 months ago #164984 by why isnt it done yet
no it was brought from the british parts importer at mulgrave about 4 months ago

More
8 years 4 months ago #164985 by defective
Replied by defective on topic coil blowing up
...ignition switch turned on, but engine not running.....That'll do it ol' mate

More
8 years 4 months ago #164990 by fjwb
Replied by fjwb on topic coil blowing up
As above, oil filled coils don't like sitting around for long with the ignition on with no engine running. Make sure you have the correct voltage coil for the ignition system. Continuously pumping 12 volts through a 7.2 volt points ignition coil will end its life quickly.

More
8 years 4 months ago #164994 by defective
...it's all to do with the points being shut whilst the ignition is on...it's not always that situation will occur, but when it happens the coil just can't handle it...

...can anyone give a proper scientific reason for this.....??

More
8 years 4 months ago #164999 by Roughy
Replied by Roughy on topic coil blowing up
With the ignition on and the points closed there would be a constant current/amps flowing through the coil. As a coil is only designed to have current flow for short durations rather than a constant current, excessive heat is generated causing the coil to blow up if left long enough. There is a formula for heat and current over a certain duration. Hope this helps.

More
8 years 4 months ago #165009 by why isnt it done yet
thanks for your replys fellas we are just using an original button [ignition ] to turn over the starter motor which I was doing on a regular basis wilst checking that the starter motor wasnt getting hot. By the way I just have the motor sitting in the chassis so it is not wired up properly it is just wired up enoough too get it started and run for a bit thanks again geoff

More
8 years 4 months ago - 8 years 4 months ago #165028 by defective
...they wont just blow up for no reason..something must've been a bit awry ??

...Is the Hi Lux 24 volt ?
Last edit: 8 years 4 months ago by defective.

More
8 years 4 months ago #165037 by fjwb
Replied by fjwb on topic coil blowing up
If it's the round style canister coil it will be oil filled. There is usually a relief hole which may have failed. The coil gets hot, the oil expands and it needs somewhere to go.

Time to create page: 0.432 seconds