Skip to main content

The 1418 Benz lookalike project.

More
7 years 5 months ago - 7 years 5 months ago #176610 by geoffa
We decided we could not clean the inside of the chassis properly with the cross members in place so we have now taken out all four cross members between the back of the cab and the end of the chassis. The cross member at the end of the chassis is welded to the chassis. There is now nothing inside the chassis behind the cab.
We have even removed the cab rear support assembly and shock absorbers.

We have fitted the new L plate reinforcement to the out side of the chassis.

Attachments:
Last edit: 7 years 5 months ago by geoffa.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
7 years 5 months ago #176616 by Mrsmackpaul
and to think this gunna be just a quick tidy up and stretch the chassis :silly: :silly: :silly: :silly:

Looking good Geoff and crew

Your better to die trying than live on your knees begging

More
7 years 5 months ago #176618 by Southbound
Looking good. Paint the rails nice and old mate doing the roadworthy won't even give em a second look! :whistle:

I'd rather have tools that I don't need, than not have the tools I do need.

More
7 years 5 months ago #176699 by wombat 46
looking real nice!
How do you prep the rails just with a wire brush on the grinder, or do you sand blast them
they do look as new when you are done.
i have an old lendlease chev that had the double rail and they got pitted bad in the gap.
i ground off the rivets and cleaned it all but the pitting is quite visable still. just wondering if there are any tricks to make them look better.
Jim

More
7 years 5 months ago #176705 by Mrsmackpaul

wombat 46 wrote: looking real nice!
How do you prep the rails just with a wire brush on the grinder, or do you sand blast them
they do look as new when you are done.
i have an old lendlease chev that had the double rail and they got pitted bad in the gap.
i ground off the rivets and cleaned it all but the pitting is quite visable still. just wondering if there are any tricks to make them look better.
Jim

If your never gunna do big loads I would just use bog and sand it back

Paul

Your better to die trying than live on your knees begging

More
7 years 5 months ago - 7 years 5 months ago #176730 by geoffa
Jim,

I use a 4 inch angle grinder with a 5mm thick grinding disc to remove the bulk of the rust. I then smooth it with a flapper disc, as these wear down you can get an almost mirror finish on the surface you are sanding. The reason the chassis looks so good on the outside is because the L plate reinforcement is new.

We have been thinking if anyone else was left with the task of putting all the truck parts together that are sand blasted and primed and ready for reassembly, they might be a bit confused. Be a bit hard to fit these tail shafts and airtanks into this chassis.

Attachments:

More
7 years 5 months ago #176733 by wombat 46
Doing a great job there,
thanks also for the tips,
i am starting to loose track or all your projects going side by side!!
A credit to all involved
Jim

More
7 years 5 months ago #176737 by Southbound
Fantastic job mate. I dunno where you find the time to A/ Earn a living B/ Resto all these old jiggers, and C/ MT all those kegs!

I'd rather have tools that I don't need, than not have the tools I do need.

More
7 years 5 months ago - 7 years 5 months ago #176742 by geoffa
Southbound,

I am 73, retired and have lots of spare time. My son, John and I have a flexible arrangement, generally I do the slow tedious (unskilled ?) tasks like pulling things apart and cleaning them up for repairing or painting which does not require being young and fit. I can do a lot of this sitting in the shade. As mentioned in the posts about the fuel delivery tanks, I do the 'scrounging', organising supplies etc.

John works full time and does the skilled work, welding, panel work, painting and reassembling. We feel this is the best use of his limited spare time.

It would be very difficult for one person working full time to spend the same number of man hours each week restoring something, as we can working together as a team on our projects.

As for the kegs, ???????.

Geoff.

• Swishy
  • Away
  • If U don't like my Driving .... well then get off the footpath ...... LOL
More
7 years 5 months ago #176743 by Swishy
RE: As for the kegs, ???????.
:lol:
;)
:lol:
Well
There not gunna MT themselves