Skip to main content

Leyland opd 2 double decker

More
7 years 1 month ago #181171 by JOHN.K.
Replied by JOHN.K. on topic Leyland opd 2 double decker
If your bus is front engine,SCG tranny and underslung worm diff,then the only way you are going to get 10tons of scrapmetal to go faster is by using a Fuller joey box back to front giving a 2x step up.Powered by 130hp at 1800 revs.Higher tailshaft speed will also cause vibration problems, maybe shaft failure,and is sure to burn up the worm diff.The only one where this is practical is the Panther or Leopard with rear engine ,and a No4 Eaton diff.Incidentally,the best bus I have ever driven is the first of the MANs with the 6cyl.and the ZF 1HP45 box.No govt fleet ever bought another pommy bus after this. Regards John.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
7 years 1 month ago #181173 by JOHN.K.
Concerning rust,I used to do work for a coach operator with a fleet of Denning s.When I took one up for inspection,the inspector got out a screwdriver,opened up the bins and started crumbling away the frames.Showers of rust,bits of old oil drums.It was sent for a full frame inspection,all that was holding the body together was the fiberglass roof.The frames had been repaired previously with bits of 20l drums popriveted on so the panels had something to hold to.Strangely enough ,the old wooden framed bodies lasted best,except the screw holes got enlarged.Regards John.

More
7 years 1 month ago #181301 by mikeg
Replied by mikeg on topic Leyland opd 2 double decker
Saw this Leyland at Woodford Qld last year, a young couple with 2 kids doing the big lap and taking their time.
Attachments:

More
7 years 4 weeks ago #181318 by JOHN.K.
Picture this...30mph,belching black smoke,several dozen cars held up behind.I reckon you would learn at least one new word every time you went out on the road.Regards John.

More
7 years 4 weeks ago - 7 years 4 weeks ago #181321 by jon_d
Replied by jon_d on topic Leyland opd 2 double decker
With respect to time; I'm ten, (yes ten) years into a conversion of an old Comair Bedford bus. It had very little rust but was completely worn out.

The first 6 years was spent underneath sorting out the 2 pages of items needed to get it roadworthy. I reckon it averaged 1-2 months to fix one issue.

Like Busman says, be prepared for 10+ years of effort unless you can work on it almost full time.

I'd recommend taking it to a RWC place and asking them to do a report of everything that needs fixing... Then you'll truely know what your up for. A small investment of about $500.

Don't fall into the trap of doing the fit out and then the mechanicals. If the mechanicals are not right, it will never be registered. If you can't get a part, locally, then you need to find it overseas or make it. And don't forget it may have to be inspected yearly and will need to pass.

I had an inner bearing spinning on the pinion, deep inside the diff. It was meant to be pressed on. I was up for a $2500+ diff overhaul. Managed to get a away with making a new bearing inner race that was 2 thou thicker and pressed on.

It can be done, but is it the best choice of time?? Mine is now my hobby.

Good Luck.
Last edit: 7 years 4 weeks ago by jon_d.

More
7 years 4 weeks ago #181337 by 600Dodge
Ive seen so many fit outs done to worn out shonkers that can never be registered Ive lost count, when I used to work at a heavy RWC place we used to laugh when one would drive in, they would never pass first go and most would never pass at all. There is a yard here in town that has about 10 lined up for sale from 60s bedfords through to 90s Dennings, none roadworthy, some fitted out, some half done, none will ever sell for more than very low scrap value.

More
7 years 4 weeks ago #181342 by JOHN.K.
I worked on a fleet of deathtrap Dennings.Steering boxes so worn they would lock up,axle housings cracked through the spring seats,GMs so worn that new liners would fall in with a clank,cracks and crappy welds in the subframes around the front axles,seats loose in the floor sheeting,rust in the frames,gearboxes that you couldnt find a gear for the sloppy change,and on and on.Used on charters to the snow,school excursions,and all the Kiwi owner could talk about was getting a 5 year extension .And avoiding paying anyone.Regards John.

More
7 years 4 weeks ago #181350 by 600Dodge
Until the last line I thought you were talking about Hawke buslines out of Broken Hill, then again maybe he was a kiwi?

Time to create page: 0.487 seconds