Skip to main content

d5n gearbox

More
6 years 6 months ago #188094 by trucksyd
d5n gearbox was created by trucksyd
gday , ive got a d5n dodge , 245 hemi ,4 speed gearbox , which i have just got back on the road recently . it was off the road for over 10 years ,& its quite hard to change the gears . does anyone know where the linkages are for a bit of grease ..thanks

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
6 years 6 months ago #188096 by Dave_64
Replied by Dave_64 on topic d5n gearbox
Linkages on a 4 speed behind a 245?? All the ones I have seen go direct into the alloy housing on top of the actual box.
The following user(s) said Thank You: trucksyd

More
6 years 6 months ago #188097 by trucksyd
Replied by trucksyd on topic d5n gearbox
does that mean they dont need to be greased ? ..im only familiar with the car linkages that mount on the side of the gearbox .

More
6 years 6 months ago #188098 by JOHN.K.
Replied by JOHN.K. on topic d5n gearbox
Take the top off the box,theres probably rust on the selectors or gears.A lot of the internals are the same as Inter. NP 4sp

More
6 years 6 months ago - 6 years 6 months ago #188102 by Dave_64
Trucksyd, s'pose we should have clarified it for you, the Dodges that came off the production line 1961 on or so would have had the New Process 435 as standard, huge cast steel box with an alloy top that the gearshift lever went straight into. Would think that any that had a side linkage setup would either be a retrofit or something. As John K says, rip the top off and check for rust on the selector shafts, taking it that you have already checked the condition as well as the level of the oil? My books tell me to use either SAE 30 or 50 engine oil. If you go to the trouble to lift the top off, make sure the little nylon slippers are still on the tips of the selector forks, or not worn out. Last one I rebuilt gave trouble on the bench with hard shifting, combo of crook detent springs and balls in the selector shaft housings. That and like a DH, had two covers apart on the bench at the same time and mixed selector forks up, one Dodge, one Inter, very subtle differences between both. Dave
Last edit: 6 years 6 months ago by Dave_64. Reason: spelling

• Swishy
  • If U don't like my Driving .... well then get off the footpath ...... LOL
More
6 years 6 months ago #188105 by Swishy
Replied by Swishy on topic d5n gearbox
in the 1st instance
eye'd B inclind to push down hard on the gear lever
n put sum slip in where the lever goes in to top of selector
oil or grease dun matter

Nothing Ventured ............... nothing gained

cya

ยง

OF ALL THE THINGS EYE MISS ................. EYE MISS MY MIND THE MOST

There's more WORTH in KENWORTH

More
6 years 6 months ago #188112 by JOHN.K.
You can pull the gearstick out by simply pushing down hard on the tin cap,turning 1/4 turn to left,and lift out stick and retainer. Opposite to install.If you pull the box to bits,there is a bearing stack to be maintained,set by paper shims under the rear cap.If the taper roller is sloppy,remove paper shims ,no preload though,just eliminate slop.

More
6 years 6 months ago #188113 by Dave_64
Have to agree with you John.K, really are a very simple box to dismantle once you do them a couple of times. Added beauty of them is that you can still get just about any parts for them, just may have to get a few hard-to-get hard parts from the States.

More
6 years 6 months ago #188117 by JOHN.K.
They were fitted to F series Fords for a long time,and anything Ford is available.

More
6 years 6 months ago #188121 by trucksyd
Replied by trucksyd on topic d5n gearbox
Thanks for your help gents , I,ll start by taking the top cover off & having a look , the shifting itself is ok , it just feels a bit tight from not being driven in many years , I have had it back on the road since June after being off the road for many years , I have had the engine recoed ,also the clutch & machined flywheel . I take it for a drive once or twice a week .

Time to create page: 0.546 seconds