Skip to main content

dodge truck engine

More
14 years 4 months ago #20032 by big dodgy
dodge truck engine was created by big dodgy
hi does any one know anything about dodge engines i have a73 dodge 400 with a 318 now i saw a inter same body with a deisel i want to know what the deisel is and can i transplant it thanks

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
14 years 4 months ago #20033 by krankandhope
Replied by krankandhope on topic Re: dodge truck engine
g,day,Big Dodgy,Diesel motor in the inter is probably a perkins, or could just be a 358 inter depending on what model truck it is.The Dodges came out with Perkins, the front engine mount crossmember is usually the same b etween the petrol and diesel models,the rear mount cross member sometimes has two sets of holes, or the crossmember has to be changed and relocated on the chasis.The chasis often is already drilled for the different position.Have done a few of these conversions over the years and they are quite easy, and successful.Diff ratio can become an issue depending on what your going to use the truck for.Might have a couple of rear xmembers about if you are short .Best of luck .Regards Darren

More
14 years 4 months ago #20034 by big dodgy
Replied by big dodgy on topic Re: dodge truck engine
thanks buddy now were would i find a perkins engine and what would i expect to pay?

More
14 years 4 months ago #20035 by kennymopar2
Replied by kennymopar2 on topic Re: dodge truck engine
id be asking why change to a perkins ..unless your 318 is cactus? .. the good thing with most 400 series dodge trucks is that if they have 5 stud wheels they can be upgraded to 20" (if the truck hasnt been already)that might give you a bit more road speed for the perkins ..
probably easiest way to find a perkins would be from a international acco ..maybe if your lucky you might find a turbo perkins

More
14 years 4 months ago #20036 by big dodgy
i thought the deisel would get better economy?

More
14 years 4 months ago #20037 by kennymopar2
it will but its much slower .. also because it revs lower it wont be very good on the highway ..the 318s in a dodge truck actually go well

More
14 years 4 months ago #20038 by big dodgy
ok how much slower ie is fuel saving worth it and how do i get 36 years of grease of engine number to be read for rego i have tried 4 cans of degreaser the cheap kind help rego monday :'(

More
14 years 4 months ago #20039 by IHScout
Replied by IHScout on topic Re: dodge truck engine
High pressure hose should get most of the grease off (ie Karcher or similar), but the rego man will have had plenty of experience in reading greased up numbers. The bloke who did mine came out prepared with a wire brush.

Re petrol versus diesel, my international scout with 345 petrol v8 on gas does around 23l per 100 k and my Nissan Xtrail turbo diesel does about 7l per 100 k. Depending on the price difference between gas and diesel it's line ball which is cheapest to run.

Re speed, a diesel will rev out around 2500 rpm, a petrol maybe 3500 rpm. With the same gearing that 1000 rpm difference is going to give the petrol a much higher top speed. Down hill with a tail wind that might be 30 kph difference, but your petrol might be slower going up the next hill.

Dennis

More
14 years 4 months ago #20040 by kennymopar2
a perkins would be twice as slow on anything that looks like a hill ..personally for the money and stuffing around to fit a perkins ..i would give your 318 a good tune then convert to LPG (if you want to use the truck a lot) . . . fuel consumption of a 318 in a truck would be about 50% more than a perkins though

• Swishy
  • If U don't like my Driving .... well then get off the footpath ...... LOL
More
14 years 4 months ago #20041 by Swishy
Replied by Swishy on topic Re: dodge truck engine

Dodgy Bros
Gudday M8

scratch out the number with a pointy screw driver /pig stabber jiggr
rub with chalk, then with u're finger n the chalk should B in the impression of the numbers so U can easily read the number

How to remove 36 Y of crud
A high pressure washer lifts off diesel very easily
so soak the crud with diesel n let it soak-in for a day
then hi pressure wash diesel off th@ has soaked thru the crud to the chassis
also diesel no good on any rubber tyres, radiator hoses etc as diesel eats rubber so B warned

just my 2 cents worth of dribble + GST of course

LOL

Cya

[ch9787]

OF ALL THE THINGS EYE MISS ................. EYE MISS MY MIND THE MOST

There's more WORTH in KENWORTH

Time to create page: 0.522 seconds