Skip to main content

Mobile 1's Inter D1510 354

More
2 years 9 months ago #223853 by projectinter
Replied by projectinter on topic D1510 Plenum Chamber
I think it’s a big job to repair the plenum area. To access inside it you have to remove the windscreen and drill out a heap of spot welds
The following user(s) said Thank You: Mobile 1

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
2 years 9 months ago #223856 by Mobile 1
Replied by Mobile 1 on topic D1510 Plenum Chamber
Thank you Projectinter , As I go into this restoration I will consider the advice I have been given ,other than that the body is in quite good condition apart from D/S floor a few holes, do you think it's a good idea to remove the plastic plugs I have found under the body on the rear panel behind the doors where you often see lower panels rusted out, there is 2 other plugs in front of the doors

More
2 years 9 months ago #223860 by Morris
Replied by Morris on topic D1510 Plenum Chamber
My Inter loving mate repaired the plenum chamber on his D1510 by cutting out as much rust as he could, rust-converted the whole thing and repairing it with fibreglass. He was able to do it all from under the dash and certainly did not remove the windscreen. He is a lot smaller and much more flexible than me. He told me that often the first sign of rust in the plenum chamber is rust bubbling through the paint on the last few inches of the scuttle on each side where it meets the guard. Holes in the plenum let rainwater run down under the scuttle and turn the dust that accumulates there into mud and causes rust. He enlarged the drain holes on each side of the truck and made sure there was no dust or mud left there.

I have my shoulder to the wheel,
my nose to the grindstone,
I've put my best foot forward,
I've put my back into it,
I'm gritting my teeth,

Now I find I can't do any work in this position!
The following user(s) said Thank You: cobbadog

More
2 years 9 months ago #223865 by Mobile 1
Thanks Morris, All this info is much appreciated, I feel like an idiot for spelling Plenum wrong in my post, should have checked first, Regards .M1.

More
2 years 9 months ago #223866 by Sarge
Replied by Sarge on topic D1510 Plenum Chamber
Mobile.... my mighty ACCO lucky does not have a plenum but the drivers floor was like grandma's collender, I think almost only due to drivers wet boots, making a little puddle, holes in the rubber floor mat, floor stayed wet for months, plus dust dirt mud etc... you know the story. Easy fix though, sheet of panel steel, cut and hammered into shape, drilled and spot welded, thick coat of ormanoid, no questions asked at two roadworthy inspections.

Good luck

Sarge B)
ACCO Owner, Atkinson dreamer.

More
2 years 9 months ago #223869 by Mobile 1
Thanks Sarge, It's great to hear from you all, Regards m1

More
2 years 9 months ago #223886 by asw120
Replied by asw120 on topic D1510 Plenum Chamber
Those bits that rust out, visible on the outside between bonnet and doors; there are actually drain holes / slots on the inside of that part up under the mudguard. Invariably blocked.
The plenum is the first place all the Inters / Dodges go. I like the fibreglass idea.

Jarrod.

“I offer my opponents a bargain: if they will stop telling lies about us, I will stop telling the truth about them”

― Adlai E. Stevenson II

More
2 years 9 months ago #223893 by Mobile 1
Thanks Jarrod, I am very happy with all the support I am receiving , since buying this 1510 I am very pleased I did now ,it has a few things that will take time but that is part of the enjoyment I feel, I have bonnet hinge problems on both the crane tipper I have , one truck had a bonnet hinge stolen and the other truck also has hinge problems but with the support I am receiving I hope to get over that however I have taken on board the Plenum chamber advice also regarding those drain holes/slots Much Obliged John.

More
2 years 9 months ago #223897 by Morris
Replied by Morris on topic D1510 Plenum Chamber
asw120, Yep, that is exactly what i meant. You explained it better than I could. I think my mate used a piece of wire to clean his out and then used an air hose to blow it all clear after drilling out the holes/slots. I think he may have also drilled drain hole horizontal to the gutter along the top of each guard that the bonnet closes onto so that (hopefully) any water can run out there. Next time I see him, I will check on this.

I have my shoulder to the wheel,
my nose to the grindstone,
I've put my best foot forward,
I've put my back into it,
I'm gritting my teeth,

Now I find I can't do any work in this position!

More
2 years 9 months ago #223902 by Mobile 1
Thanks Morris great to hear, John.

Time to create page: 0.571 seconds