Skip to main content

LED vs Old Globe out put comparison

More
2 years 3 months ago #231191 by Lang
I thought this confusing subject needs its own thread.

This article explains pretty clearly the comparison between LED lights and old style incandescent lights. Pretty relevant to our restorations as everybody is going LED particularly with tail and side lights and more are going to modern headlights as well.

integral-led.com/en/content/what-are-lumens
The following user(s) said Thank You: PaulFH

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
2 years 3 months ago #231195 by Morris
Lang that is all confusing enough but I did not see anything to do with Vehicle lights.

I have my shoulder to the wheel,
my nose to the grindstone,
I've put my best foot forward,
I've put my back into it,
I'm gritting my teeth,

Now I find I can't do any work in this position!

More
2 years 3 months ago - 2 years 3 months ago #231197 by Lang
Morris

Nothing special about vehicle lights. It is just an indication of the relationship between old school incandescent (whether they be car or house globes) and LED lights. It gives you some idea of what power LED you need to replace old style globes for the same light output.

This might make it easier. Once again for house lights starting at 40 watt so just do your sums to work out the vehicle standard 15 watt and 21 watt incandescent to get the same LED requirement' The CFL globes are those curly tube type ones.

We all did this at school but just as a refresher:

Ampere (A) — A unit of measure for the intensity of an electric current flowing in a circuit. One ampere is equal to a current flow of one coulomb per second.

Volt (V) — A unit measure of voltage. One volt is equal to the difference of potential that would drive one ampere of current against one ohm resistance.

Voltage — An electromotive force or "pressure" that causes electrons to flow and can be compared to water pressure which causes water to flow in a pipe. Measured in volts.

Watt (W) — A unit of electrical power. One watt is equivalent to one joule per second, corresponding to the power in an electric circuit in which the potential difference is one volt and the current one ampere. Watts = Volt x Ampere ie 12 Volt x 6 Amps = 72 Watts
Last edit: 2 years 3 months ago by Lang.

More
2 years 3 months ago #231203 by JOHN.K.
Low power consumption is more important with vehicles like classic motorbikes and Austin 7s ,where the generator output may be 40-50 watts,and a tiny battery as well......There are many different types of LED conversion bulbs sold,but far as I know,most dont meet the requirements of vehicle design rules ......but you can get away with this on a special registration vehicle.

• Swishy
  • If U don't like my Driving .... well then get off the footpath ...... LOL
More
2 years 3 months ago #231205 by Swishy
LED not the greatest

Move off centre horizontally of the lens @ 45degrees n the brightness fades away

the bigger the angle the more unnoticable they become

old globe type can B viewed with same brightness from go to wo depending on area of lens U can see

If U get ny drift

WotSezU?

cya

OF ALL THE THINGS EYE MISS ................. EYE MISS MY MIND THE MOST

There's more WORTH in KENWORTH

More
2 years 3 months ago #231207 by Lang
Swishy

That is why they have these replacements for standard old type globes now.

now.

I believe the multi LED tail lights now cater for angle viewing much better.
The following user(s) said Thank You: wee-allis, PDU

More
2 years 3 months ago #231264 by mammoth
House lights are not an issue as the label says how many lumens. For my vehicles I look for led bulbs that cover 12 to 24 volts so that I don't have to change a whole set on the trailer with different prime movers. Not a lot do. Still problematic as you don't get a description of either watts or lumens, and some have the little panels like Lang's pic or have tiny bulbs in a cluster, all trial and error. Nother thing is that the flasher can won't drive replacement led bulbs. I did get some to replace festoons which work well as interior lights because you can direct the 15 degrees of light downwards but useless in a marker light.

More
2 years 3 months ago #231269 by Lang
LED Flasher cans are available everywhere now.

More
2 years 3 months ago #231271 by wee-allis
Used to be if you fitted LED blinkers, there was a small inline resister you had to fit or they would blink too fast to be legal. But as Lang says, LED cans are available.

Similar story when replacing fluoresent? tubes in the house. Old style was to remove the starter and ballast . Now LRD tubes come with LED starter, swap starter and tube, right to go.
The following user(s) said Thank You: cobbadog

More
2 years 3 months ago #231277 by Gryphon
Hi,

the older style flasher cans work on heat, generated by the load of of the standard globes. Using LED's with a resistor is just trying to create that same load because the LEDs create bugger all load. The flasher can to use with LEDs is called an electronic flasher can that is not dependant on the load of the globes to function.

A very basic introduction cab found here, www.narva.com.au/resources/flasher-application-guide

Terry

Time to create page: 0.487 seconds