Skip to main content

Another ID this time a not so old Ford

More
14 years 1 month ago #25860 by ccpascoe
Hi
Can anyone help with info about this Ford Truck.
img189.imageshack.us/g/ford01q.jpg/

Comp plate details:
Stillwell Ford Stock # 11935
Body CL3APA
Serial # 29072
Sido # 765118
Model 83442
Engine J
Trans T
RR Axle 1
GVW 15300
GCW 1900

Any help will be greatly appreciated

Regards Chris

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
14 years 1 month ago #25861 by ccpascoe
I forgot to detail what was on the other comp plate,I should have turned the page over!!

Ford DCH/CAB PET
Seats 3
GVW 15300
CL3APA 29072 D
Manufactured to comply to Australian Standards

Hope this helps

Chris

More
14 years 1 month ago #25862 by kennymopar2
i think you will find the gvm is in pounds ..i had a ford D series pretty much the same as that the 300ci canadian 6cyl uses a lot of fuel ..they are a weak truck ..small brakes ,light springs, small gearbox with a notchy change but for small loads they get the job done ..

More
14 years 1 month ago #25863 by kaslkaos
Do you have an engine and /or chassis number ?

More
14 years 1 month ago #25864 by ccpascoe
I'm going to clean it up this week, where do I find the numbers?

More
14 years 1 month ago #25865 by ccpascoe
I found the Chassis # CL3APA29072D

14 years 1 month ago - 14 years 1 month ago #25866 by
It's a D series Ford, more specifically a D0172. They were built in Pommyland. Yours is a 3 tonner from around the early 1970's. They were built from 3 tonne versions, in petrol and diesel, up to tandem prime mover size, all using the same cab, but with heavier frames and drivetrains as the size went up. The later Ford Trader (of the 1980's) was a Jap, improved copy, of the D series cab, but built by Mazda. The Trader was a better truck.

The D series were built from mid-1965 to 1981, when the Ford Cargo replaced it. Both of them are regarded as "also-rans", in the truck world, with neither the D series, nor the Cargo being particularly outstanding. One day they might become a rare collectible, but I wouldn't hold my breath, waiting .. :D

Google "D Series Ford" and you'll get a heap of info .. mostly Pommy stuff, the Poms love 'em.
Have a look on eBay, and you'll probably find a D Series sales brochure for sale. This following bloke has one, but he's a bit of a rip-off merchant with his prices.

About Time Spares .. www.abouttimespares.com.au/showpartslist.asp?cat=2&sub=46

Here's a similar one for sale on Trading Post .. www.tradingpost.com.au/Automotive/Trucks...AdNumber=TP003125274

Most of the D Series are sad and tired now, and nearly all gone. You'll find a few doing duty as horse float trucks, but most of them are pretty tired.
I saw a tandem D Series for sale in QLD last year, it had been a drill rig truck, and was in really good shape, with low kms. It had the slant, 380 "Dorset" 6 cyl diesel in it .. but at 160 HP, it was no highway speedster. It sold for $2500, which I thought was pretty good value. It would have made a good farm truck. Parts for the D series are virtually non-existent, even engine parts for the 380 diesel are very hard to obtain.

More
14 years 1 month ago #25867 by ccpascoe
Thanks a lot you've been a great help.

14 years 1 month ago #25868 by
G'Day Chris

I used to sell D Series Fords here in the UK.

I have a D Series Operators Manual.
If there are any questions you think this may be able to help with, just ask.

Cheers
RS :)

Time to create page: 0.481 seconds