Skip to main content

Bedford help

More
15 years 9 months ago #2187 by Ozetruck
Bedford help was created by Ozetruck
Hi, guys
Ive come across a beford(1930's roughly) near my house and is drivable, but i dont know much about them at all, about rust problem areas etc.

Cheers, Will

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
15 years 9 months ago #2188 by Andy Wright
Replied by Andy Wright on topic Re: Bedford help
Hi Will

1930s Bedfords aren't exactly thick on the ground so, first off, you're onto a good thing. A driveable (does it stop?) truck is a good start too...and it's nearby. Is this the perfect truck? LOL.

I'm afraid I can't help with problem rust areas as my trucks are MLs from the late '40s/early '50s but I guess the usual areas of back of the cab, bottom of doors etc would apply). Our resident 1930s Bedford guru is Deadly Dave so it would be a good idea to wait for his response or send him a private message. He'll be a huge help with what to look for too.

Finally, got any pics to post?

Good luck. :)

Andy&&&&Whatever rubs your buddah.&&&&Got Bedfords? http://bedfordtr

15 years 9 months ago #2189 by
Replied by on topic Re: Bedford help
Hi Will ,tell me more about this truck has it got a enclosed tail shaft ,single or duals , updraught or down draught carby , open or behind the gille raditor. Dave

More
15 years 9 months ago #2190 by Ozetruck
Replied by Ozetruck on topic Re: Bedford help
Whoa....
I gotta get a better look at this truck... I'll take the camera and show you the old beast...
Deadly Dave whats a draught or updraught carby?

Cheers, Will

15 years 9 months ago #2191 by
Replied by on topic Re: Bedford help
Well Will you know my truck has a updraught carby and they started in 1931 -late 34 and then came the downdraught which around till late 70's.

Has this truck got front gurads like a slipley dip or half moon ones. Dave

More
15 years 9 months ago #2192 by bparo
Replied by bparo on topic Re: Bedford help
To try and answer Will's Question

There are updraught (or updraft), downdraught (or downdraft) and sidedraught (or sidedraft) carburettors.

The draught (draft) refers to the direction the air enters and air/fuel mixture enter amd leave the carburttor.

Downdraught carburetors are where the air enters the top of the carbutror at the top, mixes with the fuel then leaves the carburetor at the bottom (ie enters the inlet manifold at the top). It is as you see on V8's, and most Aussie 6 cylinder cars (Ford, Holden or Valiant)

An updraught carburettor has the air come in the bottom then leave at the top to enter the bottom of the inlet manifold. I (such as Dave's truck). It is fairly common on vintage vehicles but seems to have gone out of favour.

A side draught carburettor has the air enter one side, fix with the fuel and leave the other. The mosy common types I have seen are SU's or Webers fitted to the GTR XU1 Torana's, Minis and were iused by a lot of european car manufacturers.

I hope that helps

Having lived through a pandemic I now understand all the painting of fat people on couches!

More
15 years 9 months ago #2193 by Andy Wright
Replied by Andy Wright on topic Re: Bedford help
How did you go, Will?

Andy&&&&Whatever rubs your buddah.&&&&Got Bedfords? http://bedfordtr

More
15 years 7 months ago #2194 by Ozetruck
Replied by Ozetruck on topic Re: Bedford help
well, an update on things
I have found another 1938 beddie, and a 40's-50's one. But it could be something else like a morris commercial or something....
But I saw a nice 1930's bedford at muckleford and also witnessed a triple header steam train, on the maldon to castlemaine line. Got a few pics you will like from there too...

But Im saving madly i might get the two yet not shaw though...

Cheers, Will

Time to create page: 0.462 seconds