Skip to main content

Diamond Reo, to be or not to be??

More
13 years 4 months ago #42987 by norcoast
Hello, newbie here. Excellent site you have here, partly to blame for my next project. I have restored numerous cars and tractors and i think its time to move onto a truck. I have found a reasonable 70'

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
13 years 4 months ago #42988 by ray
G'day norcoast and welcome to the forum. You will get plenty of advice here, maybe not all good. About the only rule here is we need pics and plenty of them. There are clues at the top of the page on how to upload pics. As far as I am aware the number of wheels has nothing to do with going onto club rego.

More
13 years 4 months ago #42989 by bigcam
Hi Norcoast, it maskes it easier if you put where you are. It doesn't matter how many axle's in Queensland for club rego, you can even do a Road Train.
The 504 Cummins V8 185, will more than likely have electrolisys in the liners and will be cactus. You can get reasonably good 10.00 X 20 tyres from the wreckers for around $100 each, and then put 2 new 11R's on the steer, under $300 each.
Sounds like the truck needs a motor, and a good little V8 185 Cummins won't be easy to find.

More
13 years 4 months ago #42990 by melonreo
if there is a crappy little V8 cummins in there ,, you can pi$$ it off and put a 6V53 jimmy -end of problem ;)

More
13 years 4 months ago #42991 by bparo
no problems with club reg here in Victoria either but you will need a roadworthy

Having lived through a pandemic I now understand all the painting of fat people on couches!

13 years 4 months ago #42992 by
Could also be liner seals,has the coolant been kept up to it?Or put a crappy little 6v53 in it if you dont mind getting migraines :D

More
13 years 4 months ago #42993 by kenny-mopar
would a 903 bolt into where a little 504-555 once was ?
just a thought ..

More
13 years 4 months ago #42994 by newto

would a 903 bolt into where a little 504-555 once was ?
just a thought ..

NOPE!!

More
13 years 4 months ago #42995 by newto

However the engine gets water in the oil, which could be just a head gasket or at worse a cracked head or liner.
1010033 P1010033-2

most common problem with water in oil is liner packings.if its sat for a long time without starting it could also be oil cooler orings.
cummins v504 is 210 hp and was the better of all the small v8's.......the older 185 was only 470cu in.
a cummins head gasket wont give you water in the oil so best method is drop the sump and pressurise the cooling system....if the water drips from behind the liner its the packings,if it drips inside the liner between the piston its a pin hole from electrolysis,if it drips out the main bearing caps its oil cooler.
hope that helps,
newto

More
13 years 4 months ago - 13 years 2 months ago #42996 by norcoast
Hi again, thanks for all the information, looks like its going to be a bit of a gamble between electrolisis destroying the block or just a few O rings on the oil cooler. If it is terminal I still think I will stick with the deep rumble of the V8 Cummins. Its hardly going to be driven so I dont want to spend too much on the engine.

I managed to post some pics on flickr, addy is:

www.flickr.com/photos/norcoast
Last edit: 13 years 2 months ago by bigcam.

Time to create page: 0.501 seconds