Skip to main content

Tool boxes in the late 60' early 70's

More
15 years 8 months ago #4304 by monty
Hey all.

i would like to put may be one or two tool boxes on my mack, one possibuly on the left hand side after the fuel tank or one small one on the right hand side between the fuel tank and the back of the front wheel, eg where the battery box would go if there was one on the right hand side.

does any one have any suggestions on how they looked like or what to make it look like if it was produced in the 60's-70's.

was it plain sheet or was it checker plate etc.

thanks fellas

-Monty

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Swishy
  • If U don't like my Driving .... well then get off the footpath ...... LOL
More
15 years 8 months ago #4305 by Swishy
Monty
GuddayM8

Herez sum happy snaps I took in me lunch break

The battery box lid is an after market doodad as the original comitted HariKari under a wheel

TWouuld B good to incorpaoarte a step in said tool box
U'll find the 5sp with maxidyne the next best thing to auto to drive
as U only do half the gear changes as a multispeed cogbox

Must warn u tho
don't turn on maxidyne till donk'z water temp is in the operating range then it should work just fine

cya

OF ALL THE THINGS EYE MISS ................. EYE MISS MY MIND THE MOST

There's more WORTH in KENWORTH

More
15 years 8 months ago - 15 years 8 months ago #4306 by monty
hey Swish thanks for the quick snapping of the picks.

that mack has a shorter wheel base than mine, i thouht that mine was a short arse. the more i look at the picks i realise that you have shorted the shassie, am i correct?

The tool box where the right hand side where the battery would go i was thinking of trying to fill the space up compleatly, to try and match the demienchins of the fuel tank. A step of some description would be fab,

your r model has the hinged cab mounts. mine still has the old style so theres a little bit more room unlike yours where the pivot mount would take up a fair bit of space.

i have seen one bloke that has a b model and the lefthand side fuel tank has converted it in to a tool box, i have a lefthand side b model fuel tank that i can cut up and turn it in to a tool box with a step in it on the lefthand side, but to do that is sacraligous to an old b model tank. id rather pass it on to some body that needed for their truck.

i just need to fix up the power cables to the jake brake on the injector pump as they are fried, make sure that it has power etc and it will be even better to drive and wont have to use the service brakes.

how long should it idel to warm up swish?

-monty
Last edit: 15 years 8 months ago by monty.

• Swishy
More
15 years 8 months ago #4307 by Swishy
Monty
Sme Again

RE: have shorted the shassie

Yep centre of front axle to cemter of 1st drive axle = 3.35m

RE: your r model has the hinged cab mounts
Tiz a 1978 n has air ride cab th@'s why the hinge to let er bounce

RE: how long should it idel to warm up swish
U not gunna get any heat into it ideling
unless u thro a blanket across front of radiator

U need to drive it
when we leave the yard MT in the morning with trailer on @ about 20t tare weight we drive for about 15-20 minutes when the water temp is up@ operating range n then we swicth on Engine brake for the day

Our beasty is
320HP econodyne now opened up to 350HP
12 sp OD Box of Cogs
44,000lb diffs on camel back suspension

Pic after a dulux reco

Cya

More
15 years 8 months ago #4308 by monty
Nice Dulux Reco.

-Monty

More
15 years 8 months ago #4309 by kennymopar
just a question swishy ..do those macks use firestone rims for the spider hubs?..ive a set of firestone spider rims that seem slightly wider than your ave rim

• Swishy
More
15 years 8 months ago #4310 by Swishy
KennyMoPar
GuddayM8

Them rims R just the everyday garden variety th@ came wih trucks B 4 Tubless hit the bitchuman
we R now gradually comverting to tubless
all 2 do with priceing
but I do notice an odd tubless rim on the mack
we can run 1000x20 tube tyre next to a 1100x22/5 tubless both the same dimaeter give or take a bees dik
LOL
cya

More
15 years 8 months ago #4311 by kennymopar
thanks swishy.. a couple of years back i bought some nos rims/tyres from a old mack truck warehouse in newcastle(1980 stamped on the rims)..ive sinced noticed that the rims are slightly wider than ave ..ill be putting them on my dodge 760 im thinking of fitting 1100R 20" tyres on them for the advantage of a higher road speed ( 95km/h is better than 90km/h top end :D )

Time to create page: 0.565 seconds