Skip to main content

Brake switch

More
15 years 7 months ago #4877 by Sarge
Brake switch was created by Sarge
Some advice please, the brake light switch in my ACCO and many older inters is a hydraulic pressure activated switch fitted to the end of the master cylinder where the brake line comes out.

When I found it not working, I removed, cleaned and re-fitted it, it all seemed ok and is obviously a modern replacemnt to the original. this Switch then worked fine for a couple of tries then stopped. So I Fitted a new switch, which didnt work either, until I really stamped on the pedal, it will work now if I push very hard, but far too hard for normal driving.

Is there some trick?? Do they need prefilling with fluid?? Have I just got a couple of duds?

I would appreciate your advice.

Sarge. :-X

Sarge B)
ACCO Owner, Atkinson dreamer.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
15 years 7 months ago #4878 by GM Diesel
Replied by GM Diesel on topic Re: Brake switch
Sarge,
Sometimes you can get a few bubble of air in the system and the switch will play up.
Try getting a helper to hold their foot on the brakes and unscrew the switch and let some fluid out past the threads. Do it a couple of times and it usually fixes em.
Barry

GM Diesels - Converting diesel into noise since 1938.

More
15 years 7 months ago #4879 by The Shadow
Replied by The Shadow on topic Re: Brake switch
There is a cheaters way, Like I have done to some cars, Wire in a NC press button switch to the brake pedal. (This means when the foot is off the pedal the switch is pressed and no power. When the foot is on, power goes through and brake lights are on)

And if you want to ride the brake pedal (to try to stop tailgaters) you can too :)

The more older trucks on the road&&The more memorizes of how things use to be.&&[url

More
15 years 7 months ago #4880 by Sarge
Replied by Sarge on topic Re: Brake switch
thanks Barry, I will have to get her in a cooperative frame of mind.... then spring it on her to help. :-[ :-X

sarge

Sarge B)
ACCO Owner, Atkinson dreamer.

Time to create page: 0.441 seconds