Skip to main content

air driven wiper motor problem

More
12 years 9 months ago #60826 by bus-ted
Hi all, i have a 77' bedford bus and I am trying to sort an air driven wiper motor out. I have air getting to the motor but no driving is occuring. The air leaks out of a small pipe fixed to the bottom of the motor, placing my finger over this to block it does not alter the action of the motor. What are the main problems that occur with these motors?

Please Log in to join the conversation.

12 years 9 months ago #60827 by
Mate i would have to say that , originality aside..
Probably the best thing you could do would be to bin it and replace it with electrics..
Drove from Yass to Campbellfield in an old K100 one night in pouring rain with my head out the window.
The wipers worked once and that was it.
Bastard things. >:(

More
12 years 9 months ago #60828 by bigcam
Quite often the exhaust "muffler" gets clogged up with a mixture of oil and dirt. No exhaust means the air can't flow through the motor. The exhaust "muffler" looks like a little aluminium cylinder about 12mm long and about 10mm round. If you take it out the wiper will work, but it will go flat out, because it also provides a bit of restriction to keep the wipers at around the right speed.

12 years 9 months ago #60829 by
If you need them repaired try

www.speedscreen.com.au/

Trevor

More
12 years 9 months ago #60830 by bus-ted
How do i go about matching up an electric equivalent?

More
12 years 9 months ago #60831 by Digger

Mate i would have to say that , originality aside..
Probably the best thing you could do would be to bin it and replace it with electrics..
Drove from Yass to Campbellfield in an old K100 one night in pouring rain with my head out the window.
The wipers worked once and that was it.
Bastard things. >:(

Haha, great wipers in a KT 125.
You could spend hours trying to synchronize them on a rainy night trip from Sydney to Broken hill.
Keep you awake for hours.

Digger.

More
12 years 9 months ago #60832 by prodrive
Good question, Bus ted! Ok you blokes, while we are on the subject of air wipers-
My Mack has em too, They are hopeless, I agree, they either go too fast or stop and wont start, you know the drill!
So my question is, is it just because they are old and worn out that they are hopeless? Or are they born that way?
I can buy a NEW genuine air wiper motor for about $250 I think- but are they any good new? Or should I just ditch them and mocka in an electric motor?
Anyone got any ideas of which electric wiper motor would fit an R600?
Sorry for hi jacking your thread too, Bus ted......

More
12 years 9 months ago #60833 by bus-ted
Right, cleaned the wipers out completely today and got them to work once i get some decent air pressure up 4+ Bar. Think i put something in the wrong way though as i turn the lever left and the wipers spread and stop, i then have to turn the lever right to get them to come together again. Would be fun up hill, at night, in the rain, changing gears and turning the knob left and right :D

More
12 years 9 months ago - 12 years 9 months ago #60834 by Chocs
air in the Transtar too...
they work...although i recall ol mate spent some serious cash on them..
i haven't driven anything with air wipers yet, that i personally would recomended..

Measure the sweep, take the unit out..head down to the wrecking yard and do a few comparisons...
Also after market, general purpose units for fork lifts and loaders are a real good option too..

chocs 8-)

12 years 9 months ago #60835 by
take it easy .....all air tools need to be lubricated and these things are no different. take the air line off the entry (air in) and put some sewing machine (or any) oil in...but at full air pressure on the gauge.... it will usually fix the immediate problem but the real culprit is moisture in the air system that will gum up the tolerances built into these things. solution is to DRAIN YOUR AIR TANKS DAILY..... let alone a buggered compressor, air leaks or mal-adjusted wiper switch (by the way gives you variable speed for operation) . .....mack air starts (ingersoll rand) have had for years self oilers to assist this very problem ..

Time to create page: 0.508 seconds