Skip to main content

rear brakes "grabbing"

More
15 years 6 months ago #5121 by kennymopar
a mate of mine has a acco 510a (i sold it to him earlier this year) he has just passed the truck for rego so now hes happy .... however the rear brakes are grabbing & overheating,he says he can back the adjusters off and the truck will roll freely ,then as he starts to drive they will shortly start to grab again .. any ideas? im thinking a faulty rear proportioning valve(if fitted) or a faulty brake booster

Please Log in to join the conversation.

15 years 6 months ago #5122 by
Replied by on topic Re: rear brakes "grabbing"
I have same problem but my one comes when the drums get cold and my is caused by a leaking axle seal it's ok in the warm weather but lousy in the winter. Dave

• Swishy
  • If U don't like my Driving .... well then get off the footpath ...... LOL
More
15 years 6 months ago #5123 by Swishy
Replied by Swishy on topic Re: rear brakes "grabbing"
OK
Wot sorta brakes we talk n about
Hyd, Vac Hyd, Air Hyd, Air 'S' cams, Air wedge ??

any oil n grease on linings will cause m to grab

the xperts tell us the correct n only way to fix is to put new clean linings and thorougly clean all oil n grease from brake drum
n keep u're grubby little hands off the lining n brake drum surface

but wot u can do
is wash linings and brake drum in petrol etc donot submerge in petrol
then in a safe place with petrol or any other flamerables out of danger
apply a little warm with gas ax (oxy Aceterlene) to the linings to bring out all the oil n grease
this above procedure can work but is not recommended for a truck th@ is full on in carting to the max as a daily grind

ButEyeDoSt&2BCorrected

WotSayU

LOL
cya

OF ALL THE THINGS EYE MISS ................. EYE MISS MY MIND THE MOST

There's more WORTH in KENWORTH

More
15 years 6 months ago #5124 by atkipete
Replied by atkipete on topic Re: rear brakes "grabbing"
Swishy is probably correct but there may be another reason for this. I had some of the first non asbestos shoes fitted to a truck I owned once. You set the adjustment cold, so they were just clear of the drum but when hot the shoes expanded more than the drum and started to drag badly. The only way to do it was to set the adjustment with warm brakes but then they didnt work too well when cold.

More
15 years 6 months ago #5125 by kennymopar
so far my mate has removed the rear drums (again)at this stage he thinks the linings are oversized..he has the adjusters backed off all the way .. ill keep everyone informed of his progress

Time to create page: 0.427 seconds