Skip to main content

Matching tyres?

More
15 years 6 months ago #5218 by Sparky
Matching tyres? was created by Sparky
Just wondering what the legal stance is as far as having matching tyres. I have an Inter KS-5 with dual wheels on the rear (1 axle). Do all 4 rear tyres have to match? Do the 2 steering tyres have to match. Still looking for some 750x20 tyres. See "For Sale and Wanted" topic.

Thanks for your help

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
15 years 6 months ago - 15 years 6 months ago #5219 by Andy Wright
Replied by Andy Wright on topic Re: Matching tyres?
Not being an expert or anything but I would reckon it'd be best if your steers match. On the rears, one of my little Bedfords has two pair of brand new, but different, tyres on the rear. I made the rookie mistake of matching them on either side when I put them back on as I had them off for a while. I didn't give it much thought as I was just putting them back on to move it but GM Diesel said it'd be better to have one pair as the inside tyres and the other pair running on the outside so the truck is better balanced and there's no uneven wear or "favoured" side.

Andy&&&&Whatever rubs your buddah.&&&&Got Bedfords? http://bedfordtr
Last edit: 15 years 6 months ago by Andy Wright.

More
15 years 6 months ago #5220 by GM Diesel
Replied by GM Diesel on topic Re: Matching tyres?
Andy,

Main reason you want matched pairs side to side is it doesnt do the diff any good with different diameters.
Ask anyone that has run twin screw Fodens with mis matched tyres what happens.

Barry

GM Diesels - Converting diesel into noise since 1938.

15 years 6 months ago #5221 by
Replied by on topic Re: Matching tyres?
I'm not positive but I'm fairly positive that there is a legal requirement to have matched tyre patterns, types and sizes per axle.

The front doesn't have to match the rear. On my inter I run all the same size and type of tyres but I have normal road pattern on the front and more of a winter tread on the rear and this passed RWC and reg like this.

But I think you can get away with match front and matched sequence on the rear.

By that I mean if you have two pairs of rear tyres that are different patten. It should be ok to have (going accross the axle) pattern a then b followed by b and then a.

But as I understand it they must be all the same size and type on that one axle. (As I understand it)

More
15 years 6 months ago #5222 by GM Diesel
Replied by GM Diesel on topic Re: Matching tyres?
Whatever you do dont mix bias and radials together...particuarly on the steer.
Barry

GM Diesels - Converting diesel into noise since 1938.

More
15 years 6 months ago #5223 by kennymopar
Replied by kennymopar on topic Re: Matching tyres?
my mate just blue slipped(& it passed) his little acco 510a it had 825/20" tyres on the rear & 750/20" on the front..i think its important to have the same size tyres/wheels on the same axle esp the drive axle

More
15 years 6 months ago #5224 by Sparky
Replied by Sparky on topic Re: Matching tyres?
Thanks Guys. That confirms what thoughts I had about it. I wouldn't have used different sizes but was wondering about the different treads. :)

Time to create page: 0.389 seconds