Skip to main content

WW2 Dodge power wagon restro

More
12 years 5 months ago #67616 by TC
I am working on a WW2 Dodge 4x4 powerwagon from the 40's front end has been bodgied up lots a bits on the net in the US & good prices just geting the clearances & alignment of the CV joint in the king pin line may be a problem the tolarance looks like 1/16"of float is OK but as the inner seal & bearing were missing looks like a machineing job for me any contacts here in OZ would be handy on these axels ???
tc

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
12 years 5 months ago #67617 by Lang
The king pin/cv joint relationship is the same both sides. If the housing is damaged (if it is not just get a bearing and the axle shoulder will put it in the right spot) measure the other side, give the measurements to a machine shop who will clean up the bearing seat and put a sleeve in it for you. If you are lucky you may find a standard bearing with bigger outer diameter but same inner to go in the enlarged hole.

If you are only going to use it as a toy you might get away with using one of the fancy bearing epoxies to take up the damaged seat. They are very good and should do a weekend warrior for years. You should get free-wheeling hubs which are readily available from Vintage Power Wagons and others to make life more pleasant all around and help your repair last.

More
12 years 5 months ago #67618 by Lang
TC

Do you have the workshop manuals? I am pretty sure I have the manuals for your model if you want any specs.

I also have the Dodge interchange manual that gives many alternative parts from other brands that will fit your vehicle. I think it includes axle diff parts.

Lang

More
12 years 5 months ago #67619 by TC
Replied by TC on topic Re: WW2 Dodge power wagon restro
Thanks Lang I have found some books & stuff on the net that has me now going down the right path .
I will take the camera when I next work on this relic & snap a few shots so I can get a posative ID on this model .
Yes I could spin up new bushes & find a seal I guess but the owner would rather I click the keyboard & have then dropped in I just dont want to get the wrong bits for this model someware in the 40's I would guess .
when I get an ID then we can go ahead our dollar may be up again by then .
I only work on these gadgets on Mondays otherwise I would turn to drink every job has 2 other jobs attached you know how it goes .
One day I will flog it up the road & stop it in a straight line then I will know it was worth the efort .
Thanks for your responces 8-) :)

More
12 years 5 months ago - 12 years 5 months ago #67620 by TC
lost the plot here trying to attach a JPG of the front diff I have posted pics here before but cant attach this front diff pic no place to click & attach ?????? :'(TC
Last edit: 12 years 5 months ago by TC.

More
12 years 5 months ago #67621 by Lang
TC

Look at instructions at the top of this Restoration Forum "Posting Photos" - gives you the right info.

If you are doing a big axle deal on this vehicle you might look at getting high speed diff ratios. Most of the original Power Wagons were pretty slow - even slower than the WW2 weapon carriers they are derived from.

I can sit on 80kmh in my 1942 Dodge Carryall (station wagon version of the weapon carrier). I once had a 1950 Power Wagon and it was really working at 70kph.

As they say it pulled like a 16 year old schoolboy but took a real long time to get anywhere.

More
12 years 5 months ago - 12 years 5 months ago #67622 by TC
Last edit: 12 years 5 months ago by bparo.

More
12 years 5 months ago #67623 by Lang
You are in the ball park but still no photos

More
12 years 5 months ago #67624 by TC
Yes mate I have made progress if you click on that link the page displays OK today I will measure the housing & axels & I may just spin up what I want here at home got some bronze that will do the job .
I will see what today brings after we ID the wagon & trany take pictures & see if it can be found I will keep you posted :-/

More
12 years 5 months ago #67625 by TC
[img][IMG]http://i1231.photobucket.com/albums/ee511/topcat36/Image1jpgdifffront.jpg[/img] try 4 see if this works

Time to create page: 0.469 seconds