Skip to main content

Dodge restoration pics

More
12 years 3 months ago #71360 by v8 inter nut
Thought I might share some pics of my 67 dodge 660 I bought from a farmers shed it still has the original paint on the cab we painted the chassis wheels bumper and put a new tray on it

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
12 years 3 months ago #71361 by v8 inter nut

More
12 years 3 months ago #71362 by kenny-mopar
thats a nice ride mate ... did you get the "361" decals specially made up ? ... i wouldnt mind some for my AT4 ... also its unusual for a 600 series to have a 361 fitted
cheers ken

More
12 years 3 months ago #71363 by v8 inter nut
Hi ken I bought the stickers from America eBay. The truck came out with a 318 but the old bloke was a bit of a rev head and had a rebuilt 361 motor sitting around it was put in around 20 years ago

More
12 years 3 months ago #71364 by geoffb
Replied by geoffb on topic Re: Dodge restoration pics
Nice lookin jigger and a credit reckon a set of step tanks would look great always thought thats what made those Dodges look good Still a good a good looker and that 361 would sound awsome.

12 years 3 months ago - 12 years 3 months ago #71365 by
Replied by on topic Re: Dodge restoration pics
luv the fully sick chrome rocker covers! ;) ;) 8-) 8-)

More
12 years 3 months ago #71366 by Coupeute
Replied by Coupeute on topic Re: Dodge restoration pics
Its great to have a shed found truck spruce up so well.

AL110 inter ute &&FC Holden Wagon&&HJ Holden 1 Tonner&&

More
12 years 3 months ago #71367 by v8 inter nut
Had a stuff up with the tappet covers I ordered some and it turns out that the 361 is different to the 360 ones I got >:(

More
12 years 3 months ago #71368 by clute
Replied by clute on topic Re: Dodge restoration pics
361 is the smallest chrysler big block and the 360 is the biggest of the small blocks(318,340,360).
I'm told the 361 is also different in that the camshaft turns the opposite way to the other(383,400,440)big blocks?

But IDSTBC :)

Cheers Bruce

"If it aint broke

More
12 years 3 months ago - 12 years 3 months ago #71369 by Impalabazz
The 361 ci "B" series Mopar wedge engine or Big Blocks as we term them these days were first produced in 1958 in the USA. Over the years "B" series motors comprised of 350-361-383 and 400 cube versions. A 350ci "B" series motor was made in 1958-59 only and is the rarest produced of that series. The 361 "B" series was made throughout the entire production run up to the end. The "RB" series Mopar Big Blocks comprised of 413 to 440 cube motors. The "R" refers to raised block.

The 413 "RB" engine was a popular option in the USA for trucks, and commercial vehicles......sadly never made it over here....... :'(

The smallblock Mopars or "LA" series motors began production in about 1964 with the 273 V8. They were a thinwall casting motor. 4 sizes were made, 273-318-340 and 360. No parts are interchangable with "B" or "RB" series motors.

The "LA" series motors replaced the revolutionary "A" series V8's or "Poly's" as some people would know them. These motors were visually different with a saw tooth shaped rocker cover. They had a revolutionary cylinder head arrangement with canted valves like a Hemi and swirl cylinder design. Sadly the "Poly's" were a thick wall casting and heavy compared to "LA" series motors, plus wide like a bigblock, hence there demise in the early 60's. :'(

Poly V8's in 313 & 318ci versions were sold in Australia in Chrysler Royals and Dodge Pheonix up until 1964. I have seen at least 1 AT4 329 Dodge traytop with a Poly V8 in it, but could not tell you for 100% if it was a factory fit. :-/

Depending on what division of Mopar used the "Poly" V8 motor, they varied in size from 277-301-303-313-318-326-354ci up to 360 ci. Some parts from Poly's are interchangable with "LA" series smallblock, cranks, pistons, timing chains etc. to name a couple, but not camshafts. Because of their unique valve arrangement LA camshafts don't work well or at all in Poly motors.

Clutes comment on reverse rotation of camshafts being non compatable maybe linked with "LA" and "A" series motors.

The "B" (including 361ci) and "RB" (413-440ci) series motors were a similar weight to Poly V8's but had a bigger cube capacity and were cheaper to produce.

Mopar was at the cutting edge of engine design at the time. All others makers followed, GM and Ford in particular with similar designs years onwards.

These are brief comments only and are not meant to be a full and concise history of "B" series motors. ;)

Cheers.............Barry.

PS.....Sorry Internut, forgot to say what a nice job you have done on the Dodge. Original photo indicates that it was fairly rust free in the usual Dodge area's ?.

Those panels look nice and straight, good job !. :)

"O Lord of merciful acceleration
Last edit: 12 years 3 months ago by Impalabazz.

Time to create page: 0.525 seconds