Skip to main content

hole in air tank

More
11 years 1 month ago #112503 by Outback Pat
hole in air tank was created by Outback Pat
My 68 w Model has developed a small hole in one of its air tanks. I assume the hole is a result of rust?? Can these tanks be repaired, patched or can I get them remade to original specs?? Any ideas will be greatful

Regards Pat

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
11 years 1 month ago #112504 by Aussiehooker
Replied by Aussiehooker on topic Re: hole in air tank
hi pat the air tank is a pressure vessel so if its rusty i would send it over your left shoulder brand new are still available and i dont think that they are that expensive or find one at the wreckers ,gleemans or trucking surplies at sydney wanless in qld and im sure there are plenty more truck wreckers around cheers don

More
11 years 1 month ago #112505 by Bugly
Replied by Bugly on topic Re: hole in air tank
Pat, if it's a rust hole there will be plenty more rusty bits that are almost holed through and are ready to let go. If it wasn't a pressure vessel you could patch it and treat the inside, but way too risky with it under pressure. Ditch it mate, and look for another in better condition. ;)

1948 Fordson E83W 10/10 pickup

More
11 years 1 month ago #112506 by Mrsmackpaul
Replied by Mrsmackpaul on topic Re: hole in air tank
Well I wouldn't muck around with it,if it's got one hole more will be on the way .Only problem with using another second hand tank is you don't know weather it's about stuffed or not I would just buy a new one regards Paul :)

Your better to die trying than live on your knees begging

11 years 1 month ago #112507 by
Replied by on topic Re: hole in air tank
...Hi Pat and all .. a quick solution for a short term fix is to thread tape a self tapper into the offending rust hole....just to get you out of trouble in the interim ....

...the Peterbilt cabover that we took to Lancefield had this exact problem......i guess it comes with the vintage ::) ::) ;D

More
11 years 4 weeks ago #112508 by Backyard Fixer
Replied by Backyard Fixer on topic Re: hole in air tank
Try your local truck repair or truck body builder. When we buy a ex cleanaway truck the first thing we do is half the air tanks off and chunk them on the pile.

Hard working Christian father of three.&&1964 AP5 Valiant restored daily driver.&&19

More
11 years 4 weeks ago #112509 by roadster
Replied by roadster on topic Re: hole in air tank
If a suitable new tank is not available and it is the barrel which is holed then a fabricator who does pressure vessel work should be able to reuse the dished ends (provided they are in good condition) and roll a new barrel. The completed tank can then be tested and certified. This should not be too costly.
Rod

11 years 4 weeks ago - 11 years 4 weeks ago #112510 by
...good advice roadster .. and an added benefit for the 'enth degree restorer is you get to keep the original stamps and date codes on the dished ends ...with all things being equal....as issued when the truck was new...

...a nice consideration for people who are discerning in this area.....cheers mate

11 years 4 weeks ago #112511 by
Hi Pat, just sent a person message... Cheers James.

Time to create page: 0.448 seconds