Skip to main content

Army vehicles book

More
14 years 2 months ago #22479 by atkipete
Army vehicles book was created by atkipete
Here is a new book I just received that will be of interest to anyone from the Vietnam era.

I haven't read it yet but has a lot of info and photos of Centurian tanks , M113 carriers, Land rovers, International 4x4 and 6x6 trucks, Cat and IH dozers, Scammell and Diamond Reo trucks. etc etc.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Swishy
  • If U don't like my Driving .... well then get off the footpath ...... LOL
More
14 years 2 months ago #22480 by Swishy
Replied by Swishy on topic Re: Army vehicles book

AtkiPete
GuddayM8

RE: The Book
Nice Find
LOL

On the Front cover me thinks eye C JuanTrak with his hand on his pintle hook

LOL

Cya
[ch9787]

OF ALL THE THINGS EYE MISS ................. EYE MISS MY MIND THE MOST

There's more WORTH in KENWORTH

More
14 years 2 months ago #22481 by atkipete
Replied by atkipete on topic Re: Army vehicles book
Yes he has come up well. A few of your low loaders in there too, Britstand and Steco as well, as used for carting Centurion tanks and other heavy stuff.

14 years 2 months ago - 14 years 2 months ago #22482 by
Replied by on topic Re: Army vehicles book
Atkipete - thanks for the heads-up, it looks like an interesting book to add to the collection. I trust they have lots of pics of us old Catskinners in there, with our wide range of equipment. It's amazing how quickly the years are moving on, and a lot of blokes I worked with have passed on.

In the link below, there's a heap of good pics of 17 Construction at work in 'Nam. I was looking at them and was reminded that I drove or operated virtually every item of plant and vehicle in the pics, apart from the Scammell, the Holmes wrecker, the cranes and the Hot Mix plant.
I was supposed to only operate dozers and scrapers, but I not only drove the Cat D8's, the IH TD15's and the Euclid S7 scrapers, but I also ended up operating Cat 12 graders, the Cat 966 loaders (with buckets and forks), the LeTourneau dump trucks, MK 3's and MK 5's (tippers), the rock crushers, road rollers, tilt trailer, Case backhoe, and Case W7 forklifts. They wouldn't let me drive the go-kart, though, that was a well-guarded toy of the pogo's from Workshop Troop .. ;D ;D ;D

The most interesting jobs I had were .. loading sand off the beach, East of Vung Tau, at Long Phuoc Hai, and watching USAF Phantoms doing a bombing run on VC/NVA hideouts in the mountains less than 2 kms away .. unloading the Jeparit with a Case W7 forklift, and having to push worn-out, Noggie trucks, loaded with supplies from the Jeparit, up the hill, into the compound, with the Case .. land clearing .. and widening and rebuilding Route 2 for many miles.
In the 17 Construction pics below, is picture of Capt David Combe, one of my CO's, sitting in an APC in the jungle, whilst commanding and directing the land clearing team.

www.awm.gov.au/search/collections/?mode=...all&has_document=all

More
14 years 2 months ago #22483 by atkipete
Replied by atkipete on topic Re: Army vehicles book
I reckon you would enjoy a read, a whole chapter on engineering plant and many of those photos are there. Cat 12E, 966B, 955K, D8H, IH TD15B, Michigan 85, Pittibone forklift, Le Tourneau scrapers and various others.

Time to create page: 0.419 seconds