Skip to main content

Hino tray truck (a cheap repower?) KS model?

More
13 years 6 months ago #36161 by scratcha
Where I work at Newport rail workshops, theres a fella there who has a 1980 6 tonne HINO (has 8.25 tyres fitted) for sale, I thought about buying it but it has a heap of rust in the cab, fitted with a rough ally body and a checker plate floor on the roof (ex film industry) , He offered it to me for $1000,

Apparently running gear has done bugger all work as it spends its time on location

1418 Benz now really impressing the bride :-)

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
13 years 6 months ago #36162 by kennymopar2
mite be cheap for someone depends on the engine if its a ec100 they break cranks and the valve seats recess(most unusual for a diesel) ..if its a eh100 or eh300 motor they arnt too bad

More
13 years 6 months ago #36163 by bigcam
Kenny, you forgot to mention, that even though some of those motors are reliable, they sound like someone rolling a 20l drum half full of bolts down a hill.

More
13 years 6 months ago #36164 by scratcha
Good info, I'll be back at work there on Sunday, so i will get a bit more info on the type etc.

More
13 years 6 months ago #36165 by kennymopar2
yeah they usually have a "tappety" sound ..years ago had a 1976 kl300 hino .. underbraked, underpowered,very smokey,soft springed ..remember took a load from syd a knee to qld ..when i arrived in qld the mudflaps were 5" shorter..not to mention its impossible to do a overnite run interstate !

More
13 years 6 months ago #36166 by theroadbossman
Sydney to Queensland in a Hino ? - what were you thinking :D
Didya get overtaken by much (push bikes, joggers, you know...) ;D ;D ;D
Bet the scalies had a giggle when they checked ya over..
;)

Austral Tourmaster with 6V92T mechanical

More
13 years 6 months ago #36167 by kennymopar2
actually it worked out okay . . . . the scalies were closed by the time i got there ! one interesting thing i can remember was i had to use first gear once going up a hill near lithgow . . also i had to turn my CB off cause of the abuse :-[ i think once the hinos came out with the "FD" and "FF" models from 1982 they finally had a truck tough and fast enough for aussie conditions

More
13 years 6 months ago #36168 by Inter UD3 supercharged
Yeah the new hino are a good thing I have a 1989 full import 6 ton and that is probably one of the fastest and most reliable truck I have does easy a dollar 60 fully loaded great for doing interstaters ;)

1962 Inter AB160&&1972 Inter - Supercharged UD3&&2000 Isuzu 700&&2006 Transi

More
13 years 6 months ago #36169 by scratcha
your on the money Kennymopar2, she has a EC100 fitted and yep, its a KL

As they say at the platforms "Stand clear please, stand clear"

More
13 years 6 months ago #36170 by kennymopar2
i can remember plenty of those motors years ago lined at at the wreckers with broken cranks ... hino has come along way since then .. i know of one a 1990 model with around 700.000ks it may be on its 2nd motor .. the first blew a rear main seal and dumped its oil (obviously that was the end of the clutch as well) but apart from that it has the original gearbox,diff etc ...now i know that doesnt seem to say anything special . . but if you only knew the type of drivers its had and the daily thrashings . . . its held up pretty well !

Time to create page: 0.439 seconds