Skip to main content

FORD CL9000 COE TRUCK

13 years 6 months ago #37023 by
Replied by on topic Re: FORD CL9000 COE TRUCK

Choc's, I doubt that very much as the "D" series came from the same country as Deddlee's Bedfords. Probably had as good a brakes too. cya Tim ::)

Permission to Go off piste please.

Whoooooah there, hold on..

The Mighty Ford D Series range was good, VERY Good.
There was no better range of trucks from 6T to 28T anywhere else over here in the early '70s.

Cheers
RS :)

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
13 years 6 months ago #37024 by tim
Replied by tim on topic Re: FORD CL9000 COE TRUCK
G,day Roland, hope I have'nt hurt your feelings too much mate. From my point of view, & only mine, I felt that for the work they were required to do in Aus. they were underpowered & under braked, similar to a lot of English trucks of that era. That's not to say they may not be good vehicle for short haul work or farm work. When I worked @ Ford they had some prototype D series fitted with Perkins V8 & they had the 1000 series fitted with V8 Cummins. These were reasonably serious trucks for longer distance haulage. You can't tell me that they are in the same class as the Maguris now can you? Having worked for Henry in Product Engineering for 23 years Mate my blood is still with the Blue Oval & I don't knock the Henry's unless I feel they were inferior in any way. Keep smiling Mate, cheers Tim ;)

1989 FORD F350 Lariat Crewcab Dually

More
13 years 6 months ago #37025 by doug
Replied by doug on topic Re: FORD CL9000 COE TRUCK
Hi Tim
Not sure of the model numbers but ford did have a cab over ford here in the mid 70's. They were here before the d series. I was serving my apprentaship with ford trucks at the time and remember seeing one in our workshop sometin=me between 1970/73.
Sorry cant be more help

More
13 years 6 months ago #37026 by Chocs
Replied by Chocs on topic Re: FORD CL9000 COE TRUCK
ill be wrong and sayb that was a k series doug?
Regards
chocs 8-)

13 years 6 months ago #37027 by
Hi Tim, there was a couple of Ford 'W' models brought out here in the early 70's, maybe 73 as suggested by Doug. There was one at the Sydney truck show, a beige one, slimline I think. IIRC it was one of a handful for evaluation and nothing further came of them. It was the model b4 the one in 'White Line Fever' without the Louiseville style grill, the grill was the same colour as the rest of the cab.
Hope this helps your quest, Jeff.

More
13 years 6 months ago #37028 by Chocs
Replied by Chocs on topic Re: FORD CL9000 COE TRUCK
hmmm maybe me k shoulda been a w jeff! :-[
thanks for that
regards
chocs 8-)

More
13 years 6 months ago #37029 by tim
Yep, Jeff you are on the money. I remember there was one at Fords in Geelong for a few days & then it disappeared. It was either an engineering evaluation truck or a show truck. Pity they did'nt go ahead with them out here. Don't know why the CL9000 did'nt get a guernsey here either, probably because the changes in vehicle length rules. Cheers Tim :-/

13 years 6 months ago - 13 years 6 months ago #37030 by

G,day Roland, hope I have'nt hurt your feelings too much mate. Keep smiling Mate, cheers Tim ;)

G'day Tim
I aint hurt that easy mate.
What I'm saying is that the D Series did well over here.
Henry trained me in the art of selling, and he is to blame for the amount of talking I do.
We went straight from the Thames Trader COE to the D Series range.
We had the V8's in our standard range :-
'17' = Perkins (170 hp) , '18' = Cummins (180hp)
D1617, 1618, 16T 2 ax
DT2417, 2418 24T 3 ax
DA2817, 2818 28T 2ax prime mover
My preference was the Cummins 504 ? if I remember right.
The above is all from memory !
I will now go and check the models in one of my books. ;)
They were great but not really comparable to Maggies which were built to a completely different standard.

Cheers
I am smiling.

More
13 years 6 months ago #37031 by tim
Roland, thanks for that. I did'nt want to start another round like we had recently. By the way, did they have the CL9000 over in the UK at all? Cheers Tim. :D

13 years 6 months ago #37032 by
G'day Tim

No we did not get 'Big Louie'
We had the Transcontinental .

A mixture of American chassis and driveline with a French Berliet cab. Cummins NTC power (by memory)

Cheers

Time to create page: 0.470 seconds