Skip to main content

C1800, PM & Trailer on Ebay...

More
11 years 2 months ago - 11 years 2 months ago #111044 by hayseed
No eBay APP ID and/or Cert ID defined in Kunena configurationC1800, PM & Trailer on Ebay... was created by hayseed
No eBay APP ID and/or Cert ID defined in Kunena configurationCheckout the round front on the crate....It'd be a real oldy....

"Be who you are and say what you feel...
Because those that matter...
don't mind...
And those that mind....
don't matter." -
Last edit: 11 years 2 months ago by hayseed.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
11 years 2 months ago #111045 by oldfulla
No eBay APP ID and/or Cert ID defined in Kunena configurationReplied by oldfulla on topic Re: C1800, PM & Trailer on Ebay...
Hayseed

No question - that old trailer has a few years on it. But the round nose with stock crates were still being made in the 1960's by McGrath.

I think the idea was to get the max weight on to the prime mover - with the round nose allowing for a long set back king pin. Was good for short wheel base trucks, where you could get the nose of the trailer right up to the cab.

You can see the long set back on the pin in the e-bay photo.

Hope that makes sense?

oldfulla

More
11 years 2 months ago #111046 by 67mustang
No eBay APP ID and/or Cert ID defined in Kunena configurationReplied by 67mustang on topic Re: C1800, PM & Trailer on Ebay...
I can remember dad having one with the round front it was also a stock crate, can remember him saying how the top deck stopped short and they forgot to put a gate at the top to stop the sheep from falling to the bottom deck
It was a McGrath around about 1966

More
11 years 2 months ago #111047 by 180wannabe
No eBay APP ID and/or Cert ID defined in Kunena configurationReplied by 180wannabe on topic Re: C1800, PM & Trailer on Ebay...
A long time truck driver once told me that there used to be a rule that the distance from the king pin to the front corner of the trailer wasn't allowed to be any more than 6'6", and that round corners allowed the trailer to be slightly longer in front of the king pin.

More
11 years 2 months ago #111048 by bigcam
No eBay APP ID and/or Cert ID defined in Kunena configurationReplied by bigcam on topic Re: C1800, PM & Trailer on Ebay...
Round cornered trailers are always longer in the king pin to front of trailer. They use a king pin articulation piont when a trailer is measuered up for rego which is the radious from the king pin to see if it complies, not the distance from the front of the trailer to the knig pin. I don't know what it used to be, but now days it is 1.9 m.

A long time truck driver once told me that there used to be a rule that the distance from the king pin to the front corner of the trailer wasn't allowed to be any more than 6'6", and that round corners allowed the trailer to be slightly longer in front of the king pin.

More
11 years 2 months ago #111049 by andyperth
No eBay APP ID and/or Cert ID defined in Kunena configurationReplied by andyperth on topic Re: C1800, PM & Trailer on Ebay...
If it was is WA i would have it. :)

More
11 years 2 months ago #111050 by oldfulla
No eBay APP ID and/or Cert ID defined in Kunena configurationReplied by oldfulla on topic Re: C1800, PM & Trailer on Ebay...
Big Cam

I think thats what 180 said - from the pin to the corner of the trailer.

I cant remember what the radius allowance used to be, however - when single drive prime movers were in fashion, with a bogie trailer (called tandems back then) the set back on the king pin was 3 feet.

When bogie drives came in - it went to 3'6" and then 4 foot (I think) when triaxle trailers came along. All to be able to get the max weight over the drives.

The round nose trailers were (sort of) popular for live stock trailers - and a single drive PM - because you couldnt stack them all up the front - and a typical load left you light over the drives and with reduced traction. With the round nose - you could gain a little bit more up the front. As well you could get a longer trailer and still stay within the overall length rule of the day. That was the theory - but I'm not convinced it actually worked in practice.

And - when old trailers with short pins were matched with a bogie drive PM - the front had to be loaded heavy to get the max allowable weight on the drives. But that caused many an old trailer to break in half at the goose neck - due to them being only designed for 8 ton up the front not the new 14/15T that came with a bogie drive.

Oldfulla

Time to create page: 0.403 seconds