Skip to main content

New owner of Ford Trader K500 1966 - new to forum

More
11 years 2 weeks ago #114417 by create
Cool - there's now a fellow Ford "K" series driver on this forum.
mjkohler I have a 1966 K700. Let me know if I can help you with anything.

1966 Ford K700 ~ 5.4L Diesel

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
11 years 2 weeks ago #114418 by mjkohler
Well you would be surprised at what I need to know. I am a tad embarrassed to ask. Lol.
However something you might be able to help me with is the starting proceedure.
I need to figure out where the cold start button/switch is. Would you be able to identify it from the photo of the dashboard earlier in this post? I tried putting gears in neutral and turning key but though it sounded healthy it gave no inclination the motor was going to turn over.I was told when the truck was dropped off that if I had trouble starting the truck (now here my memory has failed to the exact part mentioned and I am stating this on what seems to be the logical part) that the cold start switch - where it links on to whatever it links onto under the bonnet (do trucks use the word bonnet? :-) ) well sometimes where it links it falls off.
When I figure out how to open the bonnet I can perhaps give a tad better description.
Having stated that, I have seen the lever to open the bonnet but dpnt want to cause any damage by using brute force in bending it in a direction I shouldnt. So thats one more question for tonight. What do I do with that lever to open the bonnet? Many thanks. Lol
:-D

More
11 years 2 weeks ago - 11 years 2 weeks ago #114419 by create
To cold start is interesting. You need to lift the bonnet and locate the injector pump. Theres a button on the side that you need to press and hold. With your other hand pull the throttle linkage. You will hear it go click.
This motor does not have any glow plugs so this button increases the fuel until it warms up.

Last edit: 11 years 2 weeks ago by create.

More
11 years 2 weeks ago #114420 by create
To open the bonnet
push the lever to the left while holding the top of the bonnet down. Then push your fingers in to release the safety catch.

More
11 years 2 weeks ago #114421 by mjkohler
Appreciate information. Many thanks. Will give it a go over tge weekend. :-)

More
11 years 2 weeks ago #114422 by fageol100
Hi Melinda, I used to drive one of these Ford K series/normal control Traders years ago when I worked for a silage contractor. It was a very easy truck to drive with a 4 speed synchromesh gearbox and 2 speed electic shift Eaton axle like yours appears to have. Your truck looks to be very tidy-good luck with it.

What did you mean when you wrote-"though it sounded healthy it gave no indication the motor was going to turn over". Do you mean that it turned over, but didn't start? Is the stop button pushed in? Did it turn over reasonably fast, or did it sound like the battery was flat?

More
11 years 2 weeks ago #114423 by mjkohler
Hi. No battery definitely not flat. Regarding stop button, from memory its pull out to stop. Presumably it would be pushed into start. There us a switch on the dashboard that says fuel pump. Not sure what that is. Didn't give that a go. Might put that on weekend drawing board. I did find the windscreen wipers though. :-)

When I say the motor didn't turn over, it didn't fire up. It chugged. (Good word that :-)) I would say I need to explore the cold start option.
Thanks for your interest. :-)

More
11 years 2 weeks ago #114424 by fageol100
Melinda, sounds like it might have an electric fuel pump fitted. Your truck will have a mechanical lift pump fitted to pump the diesel from the tank through the fuel filter to the fuel injection pump. The lift pump is driven off the engine's camshaft. It should have a little hand priming lever on the side of the lift pump. When you set the cold start button, you could also give a few pumps on the priming lever as well. If it still won't start the fuel system may have air in it and it will have to be bled, but lets hope it starts. Bleeding a Ford diesel like your truck has isn't difficult, there are just a few steps to follow. Good luck.

More
11 years 2 weeks ago #114425 by mjkohler
Thanks for info again. Any ideas where cold start button is? Found a previously unseen very small button just under dash by driver door. When it stops raining (hopefully weekend) I will take photo.
Cheers Melinda

More
11 years 2 weeks ago #114426 by mjkohler
Prior truck being delivered to me prev owner had run it dry and had to bleed fuel line. Think I will have to get someone in for some tutorials. Nothing like a bit of hands on to get to know the beasty. :-)

Time to create page: 0.497 seconds