Skip to main content

Wanted truck to buy or loan for eng transport

More
10 years 11 months ago #117222 by oldron
looking for a truck to take my V 16 Ruston Paxman to machinery shows , saw a old Atkinson on ebay 5 grand rego run well , but cant find it again , any one know of an old truck , pre 84 to go club rego , if theres a cheap truck i will buy , but wondered if any one got a truck there not using i may borrow only will be used to take v16 eng to display at shows , may be a good advertising opportunity as this eng has attracted a fair bit of interest and may be the biggest eng at machinery shows , i am a member of Wide Bay Historic Machinery Club ,
Engine
Ruston Paxman Ventura / V 16
107 litres / 104000 cc / 356 cu in cycliner
2400 horse power
9.8 ton
3.5 meter long / 3.2 m high

Why be ordinary when you can be extraordinary

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
10 years 11 months ago - 10 years 11 months ago #117223 by oldron
i would propably need bogie / lazy axle ok , prime mover , just mount on chassis or flat bed , bogie tilt tray would be ideal but be outa my price range , but i would be dreaming if some one would loan me one for show weekends , will get some good advertising with that eng on the back of your truck , its 10 ton , afew hits of throttle smokes out a couple acres in a few secs , eng came out of Attack class patrol boat HMAS AWARE built in Brisbane by Evans Deakin 1968

Last edit: 10 years 11 months ago by oldron.

More
10 years 11 months ago #117224 by Chocs
At 3.2 high, you might be looking for a dropdeck too?

chocs 8-)

More
10 years 11 months ago #117225 by oldron
i can trim exhausts an rotate , whats max height , most chassis about 1.2 so just go ?

More
10 years 11 months ago #117226 by Chocs
4.3 metre
Can go to 4.6 as an oversize item, but may be frowned upon as it 'can' be carried on a lower deck height unit.

Yes average chassis height, about a metre, finished tray height being around 1200 - 1250..
Depending on breed and tray construction

hope that helps

chocs 8-)

More
10 years 11 months ago #117227 by old scrapman
oldron
Chocs idea of a drop deck or a old single axle float would solve the height problem,on a normal height truck the torque reaction when on and of throttle may need props,and a single axle prime mover on club plates later on, as a enthusiast may be willing to tow for you,
some things to think on.
Peter

More
10 years 11 months ago #117228 by oldron

oldron
Chocs idea of a drop deck or a old single axle float would solve the height problem,on a normal height truck the torque reaction when on and of throttle may need props,and a single axle prime mover on club plates later on, as a enthusiast may be willing to tow for you,
some things to think on.
Peter

i would be keen on that , would help with promo for buissness as well , take it to your shows as well , where abouts are you

More
10 years 11 months ago - 10 years 11 months ago #117229 by Lang
I saw an old home-made single axle float the other day with a very short deck. I will ask about it next time I go by. Not much good to you without air brakes and probably not cost effective to change from vacuum if that is what it is now.

It seems to be the best way. You can mount the engine permanently and properly, set up your signs and fuel tank and can tow it with any prime mover old or modern. You might even be able to find an old dolly so you can flat tow it with almost anything of suitable size.

Lang
Last edit: 10 years 11 months ago by Lang.

More
10 years 11 months ago #117230 by Backyard Fixer
Big motor that!!

Hard working Christian father of three.&&1964 AP5 Valiant restored daily driver.&&19

More
10 years 11 months ago #117231 by lower yp sth aust
Just out of curiosity how long do you run it at a show and how much fuel do you need to run it

Time to create page: 0.532 seconds