Skip to main content

cat food delivery

More
14 years 11 months ago #10035 by ianoz
Replied by ianoz on topic Re: cat food delivery
Hi Paul, We have a 142m scania ,that a young bloke took for a test drive. Came back windging it was no good as it only did 2000 revs and there must be something wrong with it.Explained to him at 100kph it sat on 1500rpm,and as the speedo didn;t work real well at 2000revs in top gear not much sees anything but its dust ,and it certainly didnt need more revs, also decided not to sell it to him. ian.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
14 years 11 months ago #10036 by GM Diesel
Replied by GM Diesel on topic Re: cat food delivery
Its certainly a different world when you get out of a 53 series detroit truck and into a 141 Scania...changing gears at 1900 intstead of 2900 feels odd. :D
And like you said cruising along at 1500 revs at a 100kmh its like being in an arm chair trying to stay awake.
My old 141 has an interlock that prevents you shifting to low range over 25kmh to prevent over revving the donk...thought of everything them Viking dudes.

Basil

GM Diesels - Converting diesel into noise since 1938.

More
14 years 10 months ago #10037 by paul404
Replied by paul404 on topic Re: cat food delivery
you blokes should try shifting at 1500 to 1600 rpm. the modern electronic diesel engines are low rev high torque engines. there torque range runs between 1100 - 1500 or 1600 rpm thats detroit and cummins. not sure with cats. trying to get them out to 2000rpm gets you no where. bring them up to 1500- 1600 and punch another into them. same when down shifting, let them lug low 1200 and then go back one. they will work all day at 1200 full load. many hills can be conquered without changing a gear. its amazing how they hang on. all though on long pulls i watch the pyro and if its getting up there i will change back one to get the snail spinning a bit faster to keep things a bit cooler. you see older blokes who are used to driving older engines revving the ring out of them and they get over hills no faster than if you let them lug. it takes a bit of getting used to. just gotta slap your hand and resist changing until you have to.

More
14 years 10 months ago #10038 by monty
Replied by monty on topic Re: cat food delivery
Hey Paul

The old bloke that drove my old girl would do the same thing, Mack 237 5 speed would not watch the rev's would just watch the pyro, then pull a gear, interesting to hear that that is still done today.

-Monty ;)

More
14 years 10 months ago #10039 by paul404
andy,

a cat 785 can be parked in the back of a 797. they are a huge machine up close.

More
14 years 10 months ago #10040 by Andy Wright
Replied by Andy Wright on topic Re: cat food delivery
Indeed, Paul. The height comparison has to be seen to be believed as well. The biggest I've driven is 785s. Jodi never lets me forget she's driven 793s i.e bigger trucks than me. :D

Andy&&&&Whatever rubs your buddah.&&&&Got Bedfords? http://bedfordtr

More
14 years 10 months ago #10041 by melonreo
Replied by melonreo on topic Re: cat food delivery
paul 404 and that is were they should stay

i remeber cruisin some were south of yass in a K100G 525 red head commins -somewhere over 60tonn gross- crusin over this hill the same as i had done many times over. i new for a fact i could crest this hill in top cog every time at 80+ km ph , so im checkin in the mirrors and this T600 had been in my mirrors for about 10 minutes is starting to gain a bit, so im in my lorry turbo snailing right up , the chimneys are dronin the cab is startin to rattle im still in top gear at 1350rpm, by now this anteater is up beside me strugling to get past and the he does the unthikable and drops her out of top gear :-/
i thought to my self my god i am 20 tonn heavier and 3 extra axels to drag and i am still in top,
i called him up and asked what she had in her he said it was 500 HP and that he was fully loaded..
the best way to stop from changin down to early is to get on the phone for ages as you will hang up after an hour and realize that you have been in top gear a lot longer than you can rember

More
14 years 10 months ago #10042 by paul404
melon,

i have hurt the pride of many a driver by not grabbing a gear on a long pull. i remember bagging up a b-double western star on an up hill over taking lane in the old 404. it had 4.56 : 1 diff ratios. i just got him by the end and he couldnt help himself he asked me if i was fully loaded. i told him yes 64.5 and i know he had 62.5 on. you could hear he was dis-heartened in his voice. he had a 505hp detroit series60 and i had a 500 isx cummins. the diff ratios in that truck were what made it. most around here have 4.33. that k108 is fitted with 4.3:1 . the lower gear sets really make a big difference for b-double work

andy, the ladies love to rub it in when they have done something bigger and better. all good fun though :)

Time to create page: 0.500 seconds