Skip to main content

strap trailer

More
14 years 10 months ago #11090 by paul404
strap trailer was created by paul404
i have heard people talk about (old strap trailers). never knew what they are talking about. can someone please enlighten me?
thanks paul

Please Log in to join the conversation.

14 years 10 months ago #11091 by
Replied by on topic Re: strap trailer
OK, trailers today have a top rail and a bottom rail, with a single piece web between the rails.

Now think of a building with the beams that hold the roof up with the zig-zag strengtheners between the top and bottom rail.

Now think of a trailer WITH-OUT the single piece web, but it's got the zig zag metal between the rails. That's what they looked like, they couldn't carry too much weight, or they folded up like a card table. Normally they were only single axle or bogie axle set-ups, real light weight stuff.

Now the reason they were called strap trailers, was that the top and bottom rails, were made from metal straps, from memory, the straps were only about 4 inches wide by maybe 1/2 inch thick, with the strength coming from the zig zag strapping welded in between the rails.

Hope that's not as clear as mud, possibly somebody could even have a picture of one.

regards greenie :exclamation [smiley=vrolijk_1.gif]

More
14 years 10 months ago #11092 by paul404
Replied by paul404 on topic Re: strap trailer
thanks greenie, they sound like roof trusses for chassis rails. i havent seen anything like that.

14 years 10 months ago #11093 by
Yep, that's just what they used to look like.

Maybe Swishy is still using one of 'em, what with some of the stuff he's got hiding in the weeds that might defy description.

regards greenie [smiley=vrolijk_1.gif]

• Swishy
  • If U don't like my Driving .... well then get off the footpath ...... LOL
More
14 years 10 months ago #11094 by Swishy
Replied by Swishy on topic Re: strap trailer

Well as a matter of fact
LOL
yes we still got one single axle sem eye trailer
not sure if this predates strap trailer or not
our trailer has a 1" rod th@ is supported under the main beam running just Bhind the 5th wheel to the rear suspension it hasa turnbuckle with thread also so you can adjust the camber in the trailer deck

the strap trailer has a flat piece of steel say 4" x 3/4" in place of where our steel rod is placed and B 4 it is welded in place it is heated & this makes it grow in length then quickly welded so when it cools it contracts to pull the trailer into position for a postive camber deck
I'll C ifn I can get pic of our trailer

When most were sellin off the ol trailers to farmers for creek crossing bridges we kept ours
it is used @ front gate with a shipping container onit with a sign
STORAGE CONTAINERS FOR SALE

Cya

[ch9787]

OF ALL THE THINGS EYE MISS ................. EYE MISS MY MIND THE MOST

There's more WORTH in KENWORTH

More
14 years 10 months ago #11095 by GM Diesel
Replied by GM Diesel on topic Re: strap trailer
Us farm types used to like strap trailers cos they tare real light and you can load em up....but theres a down side. When strap gets rusty when it goes around the perch and lets go loaded it gets ugly real quick :(.....dont need brakes to stop with its guts dragging on the road. If your lucky enough to keep it all upright.
Center discharge grain bins with a high center of gravity on a single axle strappy is a real bad combination when things go wrong.

Basil :D

GM Diesels - Converting diesel into noise since 1938.

More
14 years 10 months ago - 14 years 10 months ago #11096 by GM Diesel
Replied by GM Diesel on topic Re: strap trailer
Basils old strap car carrier. You can see the main frame is a light I beam then a 1/2" x 4" strap down underneath running over a couple of perchs... :D

GM Diesels - Converting diesel into noise since 1938.
Last edit: 14 years 10 months ago by GM Diesel.

More
14 years 10 months ago #11097 by paul404
Replied by paul404 on topic Re: strap trailer
thanks for that fellas, sounds like the type of trailer to stay right away from.

More
14 years 10 months ago #11098 by atkipete
Replied by atkipete on topic Re: strap trailer
No, I think they are getting to the collectable stage now, particualarly if you can find a good one. As Basil says, you would need to make sure it is in good nick but should take 12 ton or so.

14 years 10 months ago #11099 by
Found some side on shots of old strap trailers, these photo's show how little there was of them.

Notice the BIG POWERFULL " horses " up front, pulling these skeletons.

These photos have been swiped from Werkhorse's site, they are from the Raymond Gilleland collection.

regards greenie [smiley=vrolijk_1.gif]

Time to create page: 0.507 seconds