LOL

Cya

[ch9787]

OF ALL THE THINGS EYE MISS ................. EYE MISS MY MIND THE MOST

There's more WORTH in KENWORTH

Please Log in to join the conversation.

14 years 10 months ago #11320 by
Replied by on topic Re: Inter info
I understood that the Dandy Dong IH factory built everything on the Aussie-built trucks, from the day they opened in 1952. It wasn't until the mid 1960's, that Chrysler and IH did a deal to share cabs .. and they were built by Chrysler in SA, and shipped to Dandy Dong for final assembly as IH trucks.
I'm led to believe Swishy was probably hanging around the IH factory, to see if he could spirit away a heap of truck parts that they would never miss .. :D

14 years 10 months ago #11321 by
bparo - I'll have ya know, I got a Beddy that does 130 clicks easy .. and has left some K-Whoppa owners confused and astounded as I overtook them. It's called an E-series 3-tonner with a factory blue 4.2 Holden V8, and she absolutely flies .. in fact the faster she goes, the smoother she runs .. :D
If it wasn't for the ole Beddys there would be a lot of work left undone. It is a shame that most of them were flat chat at 75-80 clicks .. :(

More
14 years 10 months ago - 14 years 10 months ago #11322 by bparo
Replied by bparo on topic Re: Inter info

I understood that the Dandy Dong IH factory built everything on the Aussie-built trucks, from the day they opened in 1952. It wasn't until the mid 1960's, that Chrysler and IH did a deal to share cabs .. and they were built by Chrysler in SA, and shipped to Dandy Dong for final assembly as IH trucks.

You could be right about the sharing bit. However people in the IH Club tell me it is a Richards Cab, built in Adelaide then railed to Dandenong. Richards were owned (or later bought out) by Chrysler. The cabs weren't shared with Dodge until later (AA,AB or C series).

I will see if I can find the photo I was shown (not sure if it is here or with someone else) showing a couple of railway carriages of truck cabs loaded to go to Melbourne.

The motors were cast in the Geelong Tractor Plant and railed from there to Dandenong. I have been told that they were assembled and railed complete and that they arrived by train and needed to be assembled in Dandenong by different people. I am not sure which is correct.

Having lived through a pandemic I now understand all the painting of fat people on couches!
Last edit: 14 years 10 months ago by bparo.

14 years 10 months ago - 14 years 10 months ago #11323 by
It looks like this pic says it all .. "A section of the recently completed truck cab building at the Dandenong, Victoria, works of the International Harvester Company of Australia Pty. Ltd". Dated 1956.

So .. maybe Richards did build the cabs in the early 1950's .. until IH got their truck cab building factory, up and running.
One things for sure, this pic shows that Inters were building their own truck cabs in Australia from 1956 onwards.

naa12.naa.gov.au/scripts/PhotoSearchItem...?M=0&B=11793097&SE=1

• Swishy
  • Topic Author
  • If U don't like my Driving .... well then get off the footpath ...... LOL
More
14 years 10 months ago #11324 by Swishy
Replied by Swishy on topic Re: Inter info

Tar Muchly JuanTrack

L@@K

http://naa16.naa.gov.au/rs_images/ShowImage.php?B=11793097&T=P&S=1

iz th@ BruceP truck cummin off the production line??

LOL

Cya

[ch9787]

OF ALL THE THINGS EYE MISS ................. EYE MISS MY MIND THE MOST

There's more WORTH in KENWORTH

More
14 years 10 months ago - 14 years 10 months ago #11325 by bparo
Replied by bparo on topic Re: Inter info
Sorry Swishy it is the Model after mine but the same cab with the one piece screen was introduced as a 'running change' during 1955 and continued to the AS series.

The AL and earlier AR series had 2 piece windscreens

Having lived through a pandemic I now understand all the painting of fat people on couches!
Last edit: 14 years 10 months ago by bparo.

More
14 years 10 months ago #11326 by atkipete
Replied by atkipete on topic Re: Inter info
I know what the caption says but I dont think Inters could build a complete cab ( in house) till the ACCO A series. if you look at that photo there is the rear part of a cab ( in primer) on the RHS then Inters have added the front, trimmed and painted it. As far as I know the bonneted truck cabs came from Chrysler right up till the D line finished.
With the R200 series, I think these used AR series cabs while the AR was in production but by 61 they were doing the AA series cabs here and the R200 would have been fully imported. Not sure about this one ?

14 years 10 months ago #11327 by
I cannot find any information or pictures anywhere that says Chrysler Australia built the cabs for the Aussie R190/R195/R200 trucks.

One would think that someone, somewhere, in some online archives or website, has pics of the Inter truck cabs being built by Chrysler.
IH were spending big $$'s in Australia from the 1930's .. and they built vast amounts of stuff here .. and the IH factory opened in 1952 with great fanfare, after the expenditure of mega $$$'s. It wouldn't have been such a big deal for them to install a cab building facility.

If Chrysler supplied Dodge truck cabs from 1954 for the R series, wouldn't there be a major difference in appearance between the US and Aussie R Series trucks??
If so, why doesn't the bloke on ATHS post a comparison pic?
If there's no major cab differences, does it mean that the US Inters and Dodges shared basically the same cab, too??
This raises more questions than it answers.

I'd be more inclined to believe that Chrysler Australia contracted to IH Australia to build the IH design cabs for them as a fill-in, until IHA finished their truck cab factory. I'd suggest that Chrysler supplying cabs, would lead to an erroneous idea that they were supplying Dodge truck cabs.

More
14 years 10 months ago #11328 by atkipete
Replied by atkipete on topic Re: Inter info
Am pretty sure Chrysler ( or Richards) built the cabs for the smaller Inters from 1950 to 1975. Lance Hocking who is writing the Dodge book has done a lot of research on this.
Just looking for a photo but there are differences between the US R series and the Aussie AR series cabs.

Time to create page: 0.444 seconds