Skip to main content

Ballrace turntable

More
14 years 10 months ago #11422 by aussie l plate
when i had a ball race fitted too my old truck, i used too use a piece of dowell, or an old broom handle, cut about 2 inches long, used too hold the turn table in place, and if it jammed in there, it snapped very easy, no damage too the turn table, or pin....

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Swishy
  • Topic Author
  • If U don't like my Driving .... well then get off the footpath ...... LOL
More
14 years 10 months ago #11423 by Swishy
Replied by Swishy on topic Re: Ballrace turntable

Stewee
GuddayM8

RE: Most of that damage will buff right out
I'll supply the buff U supply the elbow grease
LOL
if U look @ the yellow trailer th@ haz twisted n rolled in the direction the only way the 5th wheel could oscillate
now for my way of think n ifn the 5th wheel twaz parellel to the yello main beams this F,U, mightna happened

Using A 5th wheel mounted on pivot points to turntable U need to use the locking pin to hald turntable from turning or have a block fitted under the skid plate just BHind the kingpin the idea being to stop the trailer from turning on the 5th wheel
Usually the weekest point will fail if the turntable cannot turn n just brake the Pin u have pictured might mangle n twist the pin and or pin bracket

JuanTrak
GuddayM8
we have not used a ballrace but the ol greasy plate cos when useing the winch to connect trailer to the 5th wheel there is th@ much momentum th@ we would crush the balls in the ballrace turntable
(Yes we even brake winch ropes @ idle revs)
But on th CH Mack we have a Deangelo 12 inch Greasy plate turntable th@ is approved by the authorites
www.dangelo.com.au/images/Brochures/PDFs/GreasyPlate.pdf

Shadow
GuddayM8
Most trucks have poor visibilty n the driver cannot C wots goin on when hookn up trailer
(No rear cab window, front of trailer skidplate covers all visibilty from cab of truck
So Spose tiz a good idea to lock the turntable providin U remember to remove pin B 4 the rig gets liftoff

Bazzr
GuddayM8
RE: Our old turntables used to have what we called a greasy plate
we still use the ol Freighter cup n saucer 4 inch greasy plate
(B 4 U pound me into pulp the reason we still use m is we only cart low C of G loads what twaz legal to register the truck way back then is also still ok to use now providing the truck is not reregisted with new owner)
If U donot use turntable locking pin or block under skidplate the 5th wheel can gradually turn under the skidplate under normall driveing n as it turns it makes the trailer wanna tilt one way or other n makes it near impossable to unhook trailer as the front of 5th wheel could B 90 degrees or more off line of center

AtkiPete
GuddayM8
Hookn up B duble is all dun out a sight
LOL
Just guess work with everything in u're favor

Aussi L Pl8
GuddayM8
@ times it might not take very much resistance to prevent turntable turnin so a lump of wood should work OK

So the

OF ALL THE THINGS EYE MISS ................. EYE MISS MY MIND THE MOST

There's more WORTH in KENWORTH

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Time to create page: 0.476 seconds