Skip to main content

Air Brakes 1950's

More
14 years 10 months ago #11871 by atkipete
Air Brakes 1950's was created by atkipete
When I look at trucks like the Deutz Jupiter from the 50s the spec sheet proudly says " full air brakes".
Was this the same setup as fitted to a modern truck ie two line to trailer. split system,spring brakes etc ??

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
14 years 10 months ago #11872 by bigcam
Replied by bigcam on topic Re: Air Brakes 1950's
I didn`t think spring brakes came in until the 60`s.American trucks air systems where quite crude,single curciut,sometimes not even relay valves.I`m sure the europeans where a bit more sophisticated.

More
14 years 10 months ago #11873 by GM Diesel
Replied by GM Diesel on topic Re: Air Brakes 1950's
Pete, Bigcam is right with the US stuff. Single circut, no relay valve and tailshaft hand brake was about as good as it got on US stuff in the 50's. Some of the main stream manufacturers didnt even have front brakes until the 60's. My 59 CO has front brakes with a slippery / dry limiting valve. No relay valve or nuffin. One air tank.
I ve seen a 55 Mercedes truck with air brakes. Single circut with front brakes. No spring brakes though.

Basil

GM Diesels - Converting diesel into noise since 1938.

• Swishy
  • If U don't like my Driving .... well then get off the footpath ...... LOL
More
14 years 10 months ago #11874 by Swishy
Replied by Swishy on topic Re: Air Brakes 1950's

FWIW

In 1956 the founders of MGM Brakes came up with an innovative solution to this safety problem. They developed a chamber containing a powerful spring and piston which, when connected to the vehicle's foundation brake system, provided an emergency parking brake. Under normal operating conditions, the spring and piston were held back by air pressure allowing the wheels to freely turn. However, a loss of system air pressure would cause the spring to release, engaging the vehicles' foundation brakes. Whether acting as an on-the-road emergency brake, or as a secure parking brake, the device's safety benefits achieved worldwide acceptance as a simple solution to a serious problem that had plagued the transportation industry for decades. As the inventor and manufacturer of the industry's first truly effective spring parking brake, MGM Brakes rapidly progressed from its humble origins to industry-leader status, where today their products are standard equipment on more than 125 makes of commercial vehicles manufactured in over 40 countries. MGM Brakes continues to refine their product offering, developing new solutions for their customers' every changing needs, offering a full line of both double-diaphragm and piston-diaphragm spring brakes and service chambers for use with Wedge, S-cam, and Air Disc Foundation Systems. In addition, MGM is working on "next generation" technology with the development of a new Electronic Brake Monitoring System which can provide the driver, or maintenance personnel, with real-time wheel specific, problem specific information regarding the status of the actuators on their bus, truck or trailer

The 1st time I seen Spring brakes twaz bout late 50's early 60's
Berg Spring brake on pappys New White 3000 POS

LOL

Cya

[ch9786]

OF ALL THE THINGS EYE MISS ................. EYE MISS MY MIND THE MOST

There's more WORTH in KENWORTH

More
14 years 10 months ago #11875 by atkipete
Replied by atkipete on topic Re: Air Brakes 1950's
That is what I was thinking, only single line systems, no spring brakes and a big delay factor before relay valves.
I reckon spring brakes are great, must have saved a lot of lives over the years.

More
14 years 10 months ago #11876 by Atki-vated
Replied by Atki-vated on topic Re: Air Brakes 1950's
G'day all,

Not as comprehensive as Swishy's info but still interesting to see how spring brakes were introduced into UK by ERF in the late 60's early 70's

Pretty sure ERF, Atki and other Brit Lorries were using spring brakes in NZ well before the UK and would the case in OZ as well In fact I'm 100% certain my dad's '65 Atki was full air and spring brakes. The spring brake story is from "World Trucks NO1 ERF".

Catch ya later ::)

More
14 years 10 months ago #11877 by atkipete
Replied by atkipete on topic Re: Air Brakes 1950's
I think Atkinson in Australia fitted them early 60s, importing the equipment from the US and straight away got grief from the TRB (was it) who refused to register the vehicle. The big advantage for Atkinson drivers was that it did away with the big handbrake lever just inside the door.

14 years 10 months ago #11878 by
Replied by on topic Re: Air Brakes 1950's
The Magirus Deutzes had good brakes .. the Huns had autobahns in the early 1930's, remember? .. that preceded the U.S. Interstates by over 20 years, for top class, high speed running, with low gradients.
The Deutzes had a single circuit, and no back up, but plenty of warning by way of lights and a buzzer for low air.
MGM spring brakes are very recent development, really.
The Deutz handbrake was a big mechanical ratchet lever operating on the rear wheel brakes via a linkage that involved big slotted yokes. When the foot brakes were applied, the cam-actuating levers were pushed foward by the boosters, and the slotted yokes on the handbrake rods, just slid up the handbrake linkage.
The whole brake system on the Deutzes was German Westinghouse, but nothing interchanged with U.S. Westinghouse braking equipment.

Time to create page: 0.516 seconds