Skip to main content

Joey Box?

More
14 years 9 months ago #11957 by Recy Mech
Joey Box? was created by Recy Mech
OK OK, let the sleging begin but I gotta ask...what's a 'joey box'? I guess it's a gearbox, from that I'm not sure of the set-up.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Swishy
  • If U don't like my Driving .... well then get off the footpath ...... LOL
More
14 years 9 months ago #11958 by Swishy
Replied by Swishy on topic Re: Joey Box?

IronMan
GuddayM8
A gearbox is just a multiplier of gearing,speed revs
so ifn the 1st gear is 7 to 1 (7:1) th@ means the front of gearbox @ the engine will turn 7 times to wot the out put shaft turns once = 7:1 now ifn U add a joey box (auxilary or wot the yanks call a browny) U may have another gear box bhind the main front box where by the ratios R multiplied by the joey box ratio
If main is 7:1 n the joeybox 3:1 overall ratio of the output shaft = 21:1 then multiply th@ by the diff ratio say 5.25:1 = overall ratio of 7x3x5.25 = 110.25:1 meaning the engine will spin 110.25 times to the rear wheeels turning once
the main aim @ top end is to gear fast n run slo providing U have enuff power to propell the beast along with out lugging the motor
to save the life of the motor n save fuel n $$$$

ButEyeDoSt&2BCorrected
Cya

[ch9786]

OF ALL THE THINGS EYE MISS ................. EYE MISS MY MIND THE MOST

There's more WORTH in KENWORTH

14 years 9 months ago #11959 by
Replied by on topic Re: Joey Box?

OK OK, let the sleging begin but I gotta ask...what's a 'joey box'? I guess it's a gearbox, from that I'm not sure of the set-up.

Simple answers are normally the easiest, it's just another gearbox added behind the main gearbox, normally called an auxiliary gear box.
So, a 5 speed main box and then a 4 speed joey box gives you in theory 20 forward gears. Not that simple in practice tho.
It also gives you 4 reverse gears.

Now heres a list of what Mack fitted into their earlier trucks, the further you go down the page, the more gears you get to play with.
Please read with caution, as it will get confusing.

www.oldmacksrus.com//trannys.htm

regards greenie [smiley=vrolijk_1.gif]

More
14 years 9 months ago #11960 by oldfulla
Replied by oldfulla on topic Re: Joey Box?
All

Here is a link to a Youtube video clip of a 'joey' box in action. An A Series Mack - probably a triplex transmission. 5 speed Main box and a 3 speed Aux (Joey).

IMHO (ho hum) the driver still needs a tad more practice. Needs to slow down a bit on the main box changes. That c-l-a-r-k noise you hear occassionly isnt supposed to happen.

Oldfulla 8-)

More
14 years 9 months ago #11961 by oldfulla
Iornman

I've just watched that video clip again - and realised I had forgotten to mention. Keep an eye on the drivers left foot and clutch pedal. Neither get much use.

Oldfulla 8-)

More
14 years 9 months ago #11962 by Recy Mech
Replied by Recy Mech on topic Re: Joey Box?
yep...yep...yep, got it! I suppose if I'm on the same page as you guys, it's what I've always called a 'spitta box', please tell me I'm right, or shall I go back to the bottom of the class? :-[

More
14 years 9 months ago #11963 by oldfulla
Ironman

Yes - that is a term (splitter box) used for the same thing. However - like a lot of 'slang' terms - their use and meaning can vary from region to region and case to case 8-).

In my neck of the woods - 'splitter' was used to describe a Joey or Aux box that was air or electriacly operated via a switch or knob. And the term 'Joey was used to describe one where a 2nd gear stick/lever was the changing device. 'Twin sticks' being another term for the same thing.

Another 'difference' in defining the term 'splitter vs joey" was/is the way the transmission set up was known/advertised as.

EG - an older ACCO was known as having a 5 X 3 transmission. 5 speed main box and a 3 speed joey - two seperate gear boxes - operated by twin sticks. And despite having 15 gear combinations - there was only about 13 working ratios - and some of those were near on useless as well as difficult to pull off.

Where as a G88 Volvo of the same vintage had a 16 speed transmission. A 16 speed splitter box - all in one box. Only one stick (with 4 positions/slots) and 2 air shifters - one on the top of the stick and the other in the dash. One air shifter was for the 'range change' - making 8 stick shifts - and the other was to 'split' each stick shift. All up offering 16 working ratios.

Thats my understanding of how the descriptions could differ.

The Oldfulla

More
14 years 9 months ago #11964 by atkipete
Replied by atkipete on topic Re: Joey Box?
It put it simply the range change gives you a whole new set of gears eg with the Volvo low range ( gears 1 to 4) would get you to maybe 40ks then high range ( gears 5 to 8) would get you from 40 to 100ks.
The splitter gives you the option of a half gear in each of the main gears. Not really needed unless loaded or on a hill.
You end up doing " compound shifts" which need a bit of thought. eg to go from 4th high to 5th low in the 16 speed Volvo you need to pre select hi range, pre select lo split then change from 4th gear position to 1st. It should go in easily, if not you have done something wrong.
A joey box is usually an add on, with a seperate lever. The ratios do not always work out. eg 5th high and 3rd intermediate may be exactly the same gear ratio.

More
14 years 9 months ago #11965 by GM Diesel
Replied by GM Diesel on topic Re: Joey Box?
Oldfulla is bang on with the comment about the early ACCO joey's....and some of those were near on useless as well as difficult to pull off.

Most of the time you'd leave the joey in direct and shift the main box 1 - 4 then go for over in the joey. Next into 5 in the main then the joey back to direct, build up some pace then slip the joey into over.
Under drive might get used once a year in a poopy patch thats about it.
When changing up always shift main first ie when in 4 over shift to 5 in the main then pull the joey back to direct. If your in 4 over and pull the joey back to direct while you are changing main to fifth you can get both boxs in nuetral at the same time which is not good.
When shifting down move the joey first ie in 5 over pull joey back to direct let engine pull down then without clutch slip joey to over single clutch main to 4 and so on down to third.
Im no expert but thats how I worked em. :D

Basil

GM Diesels - Converting diesel into noise since 1938.

More
14 years 9 months ago #11966 by melonreo
Replied by melonreo on topic Re: Joey Box?
the good old ancillary (joey ) was called a splitter because of the job that it did which was to give 3 or 4 close ratios between each of the gears in the main gearbox.(ultimately splitting the gears).
in a truck fitted with a 4speed joey.....in a gear
4th gear main box - over drive(4th in joey)
would be a quicker gear than
fifth in the main box and (1st- deep under) or (2nd- intermediate)

my old R200 had a box in it ,was a 5speed the gears were
1st gear- low in 2speed diff
1st gear - high in diff
2nd gear- low in diff
2nd
high diff
3rd
low diff
3rd ----high diff
now it changes
next gear is 4th --low in diff
next gear is 5th --low in diff
next gear is 4 --high in diff
next gear is 5th high in diff..
them accos were a bit of a hand full them gears levers were all sticking out the hole in the engine cover.. they were either all to stiff or bent out of shape and got in each others road or very sloppy.. i was learning to drive this old butter box with a cranky fire breathing flame throwin 392 in here carting some wheat at harvest time ,(i did not think it was the ideal conditions to be operating a flame thrower). i was struggling to get on top of gears in this old rocket and i was grinding most of them.. the boss came for a run with me after tea , so he grabbed some stubbies(the good old days) and of we headed 10 KM out of town to pick up 13 tonn of wheat and i had been telling him that i reckon i had work the gears out and hardly ground a gear all day. but after sayin g that i am sure i ground every single gear till we got home ;D ;D ;D ;D

Time to create page: 0.460 seconds