Skip to main content

Old MAN truck numbers

More
10 years 3 months ago #134842 by wannawagon
Newbie questions

I have an old 1971 MAN truck which I recently purchased (mainly for the gearbox - 12sp ZF), but it turns out the motor is quite healthy.

The Model confuses me. It seems to be similar spec to the 19.230 data sheets but on the door is a decal 9.230, inside the door frame is a aluminium stamped plate by MAN Australia which identifies it as a 09.215 (its a bit scarred).

Definately has a 6 spd ZF with a splitter.

The motor is a slanted 6 with a turbo.

Bogie drive, cab over, Air rear brakes with air over hydraulic to front. Has the weird MAN 3 piece rims for the 10R20's.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
10 years 3 months ago #134843 by wannawagon
Oops, with above I was wondering if anyone could shed some light on the subject. I thought it was a bit early for Turbo. Motor seems to have been painted red (over origonal)

The truck came from near Gympie, but it seems to have a mod plate, and writing on gearbox etc - all refering to work done on the Gold Coast. Currently has a very worn Beavertail tray fitted.

Cab is Blue (over bog), rusty.

More
10 years 3 months ago #134844 by doug
Replied by doug on topic Re: Old MAN truck numbers
the first number denotes the weight and the later the hp (european hp).
9 215 would have been single drive with 215 hp.

More
10 years 3 months ago #134845 by wannawagon
That was what I suspected, (like the Mercs, and MAN buses of the era) I was just a bit confused as its Bogie Drive, and also the MAN australia having a different (09.215) plate deliniation. The 9t rating would have been light for a bogie?, there is a pound loading plate but I havent done the metric conversion on it.

Were they always Turbo? - it seems to overfuel when the Turbo is spooling up (truck stationary ) so was wondering if it was done aftermarket

More
10 years 3 months ago #134846 by mercskeepmeinajob
Sounds like you got a good jigger there Wannawagon, I resurrected a very tired 1971 model, 9160 in 1986, it still had the slant 6 but NA (no turbo)
Turbo on this motor perhaps would have helped it deliver that extra 55hp.

Did a lot of miles in it afterwards all over Sth East Qld. Very comfortable day cab to ride in, someone had put on a tag axle in and moved the lot forward.
I removed it and put the drive back to where it belonged after a while as a tag was not needed for the express operation we were running, picking up hay out of the paddock!
The lazy axle was not lazy at all, it used to take all the weight in the rough stuff and guess what would happen!

Truck is still used on the farm however kept the mosquito population down, the motor is a wee bit tired from all the idling around chasing the baler.

Loved the ZF 12 speed non sychro column shift, though when i put the tray on, it was mounted over the gear linkage and had to modify the tray to suit. Made it extremely difficult to get reverse when off side front wheel was three feet higher than rear twisted to the left.

Was relegated to the shed and occasional jobs by a much younger but no personality Mitsubishi FV358 14litreV8. Don't know why they put a 15 speed behind it, could have got away with a 5 speed.

More
10 years 3 months ago #134847 by wannawagon
The layout on the Column shift seems different to other ZF's, Reverse up beside 6th. Have a 6 spd ZF in a bus and its reverse is beside 1st.

Linkage is very worn so selection is a bit random til u get used to it.

This too is a day cab

More
10 years 3 months ago #134848 by wannawagon
Hey I just found the engine data plate

its a 2156MYN

Can anyone tell me if that was a turbo?,

I had some info saying they should have had a D2156MTXN or a D2356HMXN.

Just wondering if the T in the MTXN stood for Turbo but I am only guessing :-/

More
10 years 3 months ago #134849 by bee man
Replied by bee man on topic Re: Old MAN truck numbers
trilex or 3 piece rims are not legal in most states now. sounds like some one grafted a tandem drive to a nine tonner !

More
10 years 3 months ago #134850 by wannawagon
Thats possible but it was a neat job. Rear axles both seem to have a hub reduction? not planatrey but looks to be 2 normal type gears on each hub. Half shafts from each diff run above centre.

Main tailshaft is in 3 evenish pieces (2 centre bearings) with a small jackshaft over the top of front diff.

was MAN Australia doing any weird stuff back then and thats how they had 09.215 on their plate?.

I will get the old pound spec thats on the Aus. plate and post the weights.

More
10 years 3 months ago #134851 by wannawagon
OOPS I was wrong - MAN Australia plate has model as 9215 FC.

weights in pounds
Front Axle 11650
Rear Axle 26880
GVW 38000
GCW 76000

The plate has engine number as 174860/85 but the D2156 MYN motor installed has engine number 043-194870/43

Am I right to say that the motor installed is a later motor?

Were MYN's turbocharged (or is it aftermarket)?

Noticed that there is no plaque on the outside of the passenger door - only on the Drivers which says 9230, wondering if someone has just put a different drivers door on?

Time to create page: 0.554 seconds