Skip to main content

Old MAN truck numbers

More
10 years 3 months ago #134852 by Mrsmackpaul
mate dont think it was that uncommon back in the day for dealers to fit or have fitted to new trucks bogie drive or lazy axle ect just to get the sale as there wearnt the rules then that we have now and it was far easier to up the gcm from new it was not uncommon to see different gcm on rego label to makers plate anyway as long as your having fun thats all that matters seeya
Paul

Your better to die trying than live on your knees begging

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
10 years 3 months ago #134853 by wannawagon
Thanks for that, hadnt crossed my mind but it sounds feasible

More
10 years 3 months ago #134854 by mercskeepmeinajob
My memory fails me all time. Knew there was something wrong with the model number I gave of mine - is 8160FCL not 9160.
The T in the letters does not necessarily mean Turbo in their designations especially now, will be talking to MAN H/Offce- Wacol today will ask question on engine numbers.
Came across a bogie diff arrangement in an 8 x 4 like the one you describe, a couple of years ago at Barmedmean near West Wyalong out the back of a small workshop while we fxed a badly twisted car. Was certainly an interesting kit.

More
10 years 3 months ago #134855 by wannawagon
Thanks for that Merc, much appreciated, would like to hear anything u find.

More
10 years 3 months ago #134856 by HEOFTHEHUM
The first truck that i ever drove on interstate as an owner driver was a 9.230 turbo cabover single drive, I was one of Vaughans vagabonds.
It was a great truck, from memory it was the 9.215 and MAN put a turbo kit on them and they were sold as a 9.230.
It went quite well down the Hume, till i ran into Charcoal Man and his V10 Twin Turbo MAN, the old girl was pretty good but not that good, i even had 11.00x20s on the drive to get a bit more speed, luv those Trilex rims. :D
I remember coming up Razorback heading toward Sydney and the splitter button s--t itself, boy that was fun.
I think that that motor was probably the best they had at the time,reliability wise, the 14.304 V8 wasnt much chop.

More
10 years 3 months ago #134857 by wannawagon
Thanks for that, sounds like mine must have been single drive (now bogie) and its interesting to note the Turbo being an Australian Fit.

When was that? (mine is 1971).

I am actually thinking that mine has too bad rust in the cab and may end up parting it out, I definately want the transmission and prop shaft

More
10 years 2 months ago #134858 by wannawagon
Sad Day

Finally came to my senses and I think I will need to scrap the old girl/boy - wife will be happy.

hate to but really cab is beyond it (bog over bog over oxide and bog).

will put a listing on forsale forum

Thanks everyone for you help

Time to create page: 0.407 seconds