Skip to main content

More
9 years 10 months ago #144262 by Knighter
Newbie was created by Knighter
Hi guys,
First time here and thought I'd say G'day,
Was in the transport game as a mechanic years ago for Intermodal and are loving reading your storeys and looking at your projects.

JK

Cheers JK

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
9 years 10 months ago #144263 by oldfulla
Replied by oldfulla on topic Re: Newbie
Welcome aboard Jamie.

No doubt you would have a yarn or 2 to share?

Oldfulla

More
9 years 10 months ago #144264 by geoffb
Replied by geoffb on topic Re: Newbie
Welcome
Don't hold back on your own tales as well
Don't let the truth get in the way of a good story :D :D

More
9 years 10 months ago #144265 by Sarge
Replied by Sarge on topic Re: Newbie
Welcome JamieK, with a bit of luck for us, you will have a few photos and stories... always liked the way the painted their stuff and gave them the TUG number..

/me

Sarge B)
ACCO Owner, Atkinson dreamer.

More
9 years 10 months ago #144266 by Knighter
Replied by Knighter on topic Re: Newbie
Thanks fellas,
Haven't thought about stories much, But I do remember one of the subbies, Splinter, he would come in, drop the trailer, drive across the yard to have a sleep with a bottle of Bundy until we finished. He'd expect me to wake him up in a couple of hours so I'd bash and bash on the door for ages, sometimes he wouldn't wake !

Photo's I don't have any but I reckon my old man had a couple of photo's of an East Coast prime mover smashed up, I'll have to see

Cheers JK

More
9 years 10 months ago #144267 by Knighter

Welcome JamieK, with a bit of luck for us, you will have a few photos and stories... always liked the way the painted their stuff and gave them the TUG number..

/me

Your right they always had the 3 letters and 3 numbers, I found a pic of a couple of their Road Commanders one of the other guys posted here, I remember these coming in for trailer work or something minor occasionaly, wasn't sure where they were from .

Cheers JK

More
9 years 10 months ago #144268 by bigcam
Replied by bigcam on topic Re: Newbie
Hi Jamie, I've got a few Intermodal pictures-
[IMG

[IMG

[IMG

[IMG

More
9 years 10 months ago #144269 by Knighter
Yep , remember them Cam, didn't know the drivers though.
We had cabover Kenworths carting maining paper rolls out of the mill in Fairfeild, also had a heap of others ,Isuzu, Bedfords and Inters doing the recycling paper runs for AMP.
The only White we had was an early bonneted model with a Cummins in it , we used it a yard truck getting trailers from the other yard up the road, great times!

Cheers JK

9 years 10 months ago - 9 years 10 months ago #144270 by
Replied by on topic Re: Newbie
...g'day Knighter and welcome to the forum 8-)...

...those White 9000's were 250 Cummins powered and ordered for Intermodal (East Coast?) in about 1974 to take over the work that McMullens of Orbost had been doing with the second hand ex Ansett S model Kenworths up until Mayne Nicks swallowed them up...

...the Whites apparently proved to be somewhat unsuccessful doing what the 8V71 GM's in the ten year old S models had been doing...all to do with the hills and dales in the areas the S models operated out of...IDSTBC

....the S models ended up operating out of Pt Botany on wharf work for Intermodal (almost pensioned off!) but the drivers of the Whites down here in Victoria wished they had their old S models back.....cheers mate :) :)

Time to create page: 0.513 seconds